Grandson Has H1N1 Virus

Lounge By ShelleyMJ Updated 13 Oct 2009 , 6:59pm by grannys3angels

ShelleyMJ Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 28

At 5:00AM today, my daughter called me in tears. My grandson who was born at only 27 weeks and has lung disease has been diagnosed with the dreaded H1N1 virus.

The little guy, now 2 yrs old has had a rough way to go.

Please, if you believe in prayer, please remember him and his mommy in your prayers.

His name is Brycen.

Thank you in advance! icon_sad.gif

27 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 28

My prayers are with you...That flu is so hard on little ones and elderly that have other underlying health issues!! Hope he is okay!!

Texas_Rose Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 28

Poor little guy! Did they actually test for it? I took my 4 year old to the dr on Thurs because she was running a high fever and complaining of leg pain. He said she had H1N1 and that we couldn't get any medicine, just to go home and treat the symptoms and give her plenty of fluids. Friday her fever was down and she was sweaty but that was all.

Today, she's totally recovered. I think the doctors are seeing so many cases of flu that they're assuming everyone who comes in with a fever has it. I don't think Sophia did because the flu takes more than two days to get over. Maybe they're wrong and Brycen just has a little virus...my kids have had other things where they had a high fever for a couple of days and then it just went away.

ShelleyMJ Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 28

When they took him to the emergency room this morning the doctor swabbed his nose and ran a test that took about 2 hours to get back. He is on Tamiflu, phenegran and a prescription strength Robitussin DM.

His test came back positive for H1N1.

Texas_Rose Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 28

That's scary but at least they had medicine for him. Is he home or are they keeping him in the hospital?

Popsicles are good for fever for little kids, especially if they don't want to drink anything, they'll almost always still eat a popsicle. Also, your daughter should get a humidifier to put in his room, it helps a lot.

ShelleyMJ Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 8:53pm
post #6 of 28

He is home right now.

He has breathing equipment, humidifiers, etc since he already has lung problems. If he gets to the point where he is having difficulty, he will be admitted. We live in a small town so even the physicisians personally know most everyone.

She called just a few minutes ago and the phenegran is starting to work..... (medication to control the vomitting).

I remember the thread on your daughter. I am so happy to know she is doing better. So scary.

Deb_ Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 28

Shelley please tell your daughter that my family will include Brycen in our prayers. I hope he'll recover quickly.

ShelleyMJ Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 9:24pm
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Shelley please tell your daughter that my family will include Brycen in our prayers. I hope he'll recover quickly.

Thank you, I will be certain to tell her.

Loucinda Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 12:56pm
post #9 of 28

He has already proven he is a tough little survivor! (I have 2 angels that were born at 28 and 23 weeks) I will keep you all in my prayers. That is a good sign that the meds are already working to help him recover.

-Tubbs Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 1:46pm
post #10 of 28

Oh, poor little guy. icon_sad.gif Sending all positive thoughts your way.

summernoelle Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 4:14pm
post #11 of 28

Oh, I'm so sorry. Find some comfort that there is so much that they can do to help him through this. I know you are worried, and I would be too, but I will say a prayer for him. Please keep us updated!

Deb_ Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 8:20pm
post #12 of 28

Hi Shelley,

I've been thinking about Brycen all day so I wanted to check in with you to see how he's doing today.

Hoping all our prayers are being heard!

cabecakes Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 2:15am
post #13 of 28

Dear Shelley, So sorry to hear about your grandson. It always hurts most when little ones are ill. I will keep you in my prayers and hope everything bodes well for you, your daughter and little brycen. God Bless.

Jackie

Texas_Rose Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 6:56pm
post #14 of 28

Shelley, how's Brycen doing today? I keep thinking about him and worrying...I hope you'll give us an update soon.

ShelleyMJ Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 7:29pm
post #15 of 28

Hello everyone......

I am so sorry I have been absent from the forums the last few days.

Brycen is still quite sick although he is making progress. Yesterday he started eating again but only in small amounts.

Today he is here with me... As some may recall, my daughter (Brycen's momma) is getting married this week.

As a grandmother, it hurts to see my precious grandson so sick. I wanted to cry when she brought him in this morning. He is still very pale and the medication makes him loopy. He literally acts like an out of control drug addict. It's very heart breaking.

He is presently taking a nap and grandma is working on her first wedding cake! It's almost done.

God Bless You all for your thoughts and prayers.

sadsmile Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 7:52pm
post #16 of 28

My heart goes out to you all and especially little Brycen. My prayers are with you.

Deb_ Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:31pm
post #17 of 28

Oh the poor little guy. I hope he's better in time for the wedding. We'll keep praying for a quick recovery.

God Bless!

cylstrial Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 10:54pm
post #18 of 28

Oh my goodness that is terrible that he has swine flu. I'm glad to hear that he is getting better though. My thoughts and prayers are with you too!

Cakepro Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 7:57pm
post #19 of 28

Scary, huh? All 3 of my kids have it right now, one of which has asthma, which puts her at risk for complications. Mine are all on the mend, thank God. Half the school is out with it now!

Hope your grandson kicks it soon! The good news is that he will now have immunity to it.

ShelleyMJ Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 3:43pm
post #20 of 28

Good morning everyone!

This nasty flue is spreading like wildfire in my small town. They have shut down school s in 4 counties for atleast a week.

Update on my grandson.... your prayers have been heard! Brycen is getting back to himself. He is eating regularly and is playing with his little sister. The fever broke yesterday morning just in time to be a part of his mommy and daddy's wedding.

Yes, another answer to prayer. My daughter has finally done it! I had the privilege of making her wedding cake. I am going to post a picture.

My first wedding cake!

Thank you all for all the thoughts and prayers through this ordeal. I wish all those with this virus a speedy recovery.

Texas_Rose Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 4:27pm
post #21 of 28

I am so glad to hear that Brycen is feeling better!

The wedding cake is lovely. I wanted to leave a comment but it looks like you've got the comments turned off.

ShelleyMJ Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 11:16pm
post #22 of 28

Thank you icon_smile.gif I sure tried hard. I don't know how to turn comments on or off. hmmm

cylstrial Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 1:05am
post #23 of 28

It's super easy. You just go into your profile and scroll down to the bottom. It asks a bunch of yes or no questions. The one you want to change says "Allow other members to post comments on my photos." Just hit the yes button and then hit save down at the bottom of the page.

cabecakes Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 2:25am
post #24 of 28

ShelleyMJ your cake was just lovely. I have been wanting to try the basketweave, but I haven't had the chance yet. Glad to hear that your grandson is doing better and the your daughters wedding and the cake went well. Now Grandma can relax a little.

ShelleyMJ Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 4:46am
post #25 of 28

Thank you all for the nice comments on the cake. I have changed the properties. You should be able to comment if you wish. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers during this very hectic and trying time.

grannys3angels Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 8:06am
post #26 of 28

Thank God, your grandson is getting better and I'll keep praying for him to keep getting better with each passing day. My stepbrothers little grandson is in the hospital in TX. right now, he has H1N1. He was pretty sick, but is also doing better now.

I was looking on this site for our state (KY) http://healthalerts.ky.gov/Pages/FluActivity.aspx and there has been 512 cases in the state. It is a scaring thing, I have 3 grandbabies myself, 1 in school and 2 not. I worry about them it seems like everyday over this.

My son is raising his 2 small children on his own, so I will call him and keep him up to day on the signs and symptoms to watch for. It is nice to hear that your grandbaby is doing better.

God Bless,
Sharon

ShelleyMJ Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 5:31pm
post #27 of 28

I just checked the website again for KY. There are 763 cases of H1N1 in KY to date.

grannys3angels Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 6:59pm
post #28 of 28

They update it every Thuesday, that 251 cases since last Thuesday. Seems like a lot in a weeks time.

My daugther had to take my granddaughter to the doctors yesterday and there was so many in the office sick...that they had her come back home and told her the would call her to come to the office. She said there were some parents saying and talking about they needed to closed the schools here.

God Bless,
Sharon

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%