Using Wilton Cake Release

Decorating By electricstrwbrry Updated 5 Oct 2009 , 4:14pm by chelleb1974

electricstrwbrry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
electricstrwbrry Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 15

Hi there, I should start off by saying I am new to the world of decorating and baking. I have baked some but not a tonne. I figured I wanted to try my hand at cake decorating and the likes so here I am icon_smile.gif I bought a bunch of supplies from a lady who took the Wiltons Decorating courses and decided it wasn't her cup of tea so I now have all these goodies icon_biggrin.gif.

I have non-stick 9" round cake pans that say only to grease the bottom (not the sides) but the instructions on the Cake Release product say to do the whole pan....which do I do?

Thanks so much!

Teresa

14 replies
CakeRx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRx Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 15

Hi! We've all been in this boat; use your Cake Release on the whole pan. When doing other than character pans, line the bottom and sides with parchment paper. I know a lot of CCers don't paper their sides, but I sometimes have problems with cake sticking when I don't. I NEVER have cake release problems with parchment paper.

CristyInMiami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 15

Hi! I usually grease the whole thing! That way it doesnt stick when it grows,

Also, instead of buying the wilton cake release I use CRISCO. Same thing and gets the job done right... without paying for the WILTON name on it. icon_surprised.gif)_

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 15

the WILTON cake release is a great product. our c/c queen of buttercream uses it all the time. sharon zimito.. anything in the WILTON aisle is cheaper that in grocery store... i use my coupons...

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 15

I LOVE Wilton cake release, always grease EVERYTHING well and have no problems.

bellabakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellabakes Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 8:26pm
post #6 of 15

does anyone else use Baker's Joy? Its all I use. I love it. Its like greasing and fouring the pan in 5 seconds! icon_biggrin.gif

Tiara13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiara13 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 12:07am
post #7 of 15

I use it, I love it, I use it on the whole pan always.

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 12:33am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabakes

does anyone else use Baker's Joy? Its all I use. I love it. Its like greasing and fouring the pan in 5 seconds! icon_biggrin.gif

Ahhhh, fond memories of Baker's Joy! icon_smile.gif I bought some once when I was in New York (only I could be in Manhattan and think of looking for cake stuff) but I can't find it here where I live. However, I use the generic baking spray (oil and flour) from my grocery store and it works great. For a fraction of the price! icon_wink.gif
I spray everything, pans, cores, nails...

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 12:37am
post #9 of 15

I make my own pan release:
1 cup flour
1 cup oil
1 cup shortening

Mix them together until they are smooth. Brush them on your pans. This doesn't have to be refrigerated and goes a long way.
I find it works well and doesn't cost as much as the Wilton brand. thumbs_up.gif

agentdorkfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agentdorkfish Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 1:45am
post #10 of 15
Quote:

I use Baker's Joy, too! Love it icon_smile.gif

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 1:57am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Quote:

1 cup flour
1 cup oil
1 cup shortening

Mix them together until they are smooth. Brush them on your pans. This doesn't have to be refrigerated and goes a long way.
I find it works well and doesn't cost as much as the Wilton brand.

I too use this homemade "cake paint" and absolutely love it! I store it at room temperature and use a pastry brush. Never had cake stick and the pans come clean with just a wipe.

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 3:21am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenng1482

Quote:
Quote:

1 cup flour
1 cup oil
1 cup shortening

I find it works well and doesn't cost as much as the Wilton brand.

I too use this homemade "cake paint" and absolutely love it! I store it at room temperature and use a pastry brush. Never had cake stick and the pans come clean with just a wipe.

Ahhh but you have to paint it on. With the spray it's just psht psht psht and you're done! icon_biggrin.gif
I won't debate the price difference because I can't be sure either way (homemade vs spray)... icon_confused.gif

agentdorkfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agentdorkfish Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 3:41am
post #13 of 15

The spray is so convenient, which is why I prefer it over doing something homemade. Then again, I don't make cakes that often. And one can of spray lasts me a really long time.

OMGitsaLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGitsaLisa Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 3:42am
post #14 of 15

Personally, I just use the Pam for baking or the store brand version of it. It's non-stick spray with flour in it. I haven't had a single problem with a cake sticking, even when I forgot and left it in until completely cooled. It always comes right out.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 4:14pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:

Yes, I love it too!! I recently ran out (in the middle of doing a wedding cake) and had to run to the store and all they had was the Pam for baking, so I bought and used it. But I didn't like it! It sprayed out way faster than Baker's Joy and "shot" back at me from the pan, lol. So, now I have 2 cans of Baker's Joy, so when one is empty, I still have another and can replace the empty one. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%