Cake Pans(How Deep?)

Decorating By charliecakes Updated 5 Oct 2009 , 9:04am by JanH

charliecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charliecakes Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 8

So i keep having the same problem every time i bake the cream cheese pound cake recipe i found here on this site (by Jodie F)in a regular 2 inch deep pan. Doesn't matter what size the pan is, if its round or square they always crater in the middle. I mean, they really crater. I have used the heating core and still no better. A friend of mine who also bakes suggested i try baking thicker cake batters like this in a 3 inch pan. Do you think this would help? I have noticed that when i bake this cake in a tube pan it comes out perfect. Please help!

7 replies
feliciangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feliciangel Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 8

have you tried baking it in a bath....like the pan sitting in a bigger pan with water...might help balance out the heat...just a suggestion..HTH

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 8

Where is JanH when you need her!!! icon_smile.gif I believe try joyofbaking.com and that will give you some poiters on scratch baking. I believe that there is another I will do some searching and see what I can come up with

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 8

I might not be the pans but something could be wrong in the method of mixing. Here is another website that has tips for baking http://www.baking911.com/cakes/problems.htm

HTH

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 8

Charliecakes, how full do you fill your cake pans?

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 6:38pm
post #6 of 8

I guess I should explain why I ask. I don't claim to be any where near an expert, but is it possible that you are overfilling your pans, the cake is rising above the pan before it's baked well enough and is falling in the center. Normally you should only fill your tins from 1/2 to 2/3 of the way full. If you are filling them 2/3 of the way, I'd try filling them only 1/2 full.

charliecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charliecakes Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 11:35pm
post #7 of 8

thanks cabecakes, but i am filling only 1/2 full. but thanks for suggesting that.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 9:04am
post #8 of 8

Thanks for the vote of confidence, cakeandpartygirl. icon_biggrin.gif

JodieF answered this question in another thread:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-651549-.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%