For Once, Not A Wilton Bashing!

Decorating By grandmom Updated 5 Oct 2009 , 12:13pm by 2SchnauzerLady

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 9

I have one medium Wilton icing spatula, and one small. Used them for years. Recently I bought spatulas of another well-known brand, in three sizes. I expected the new ones to be of better quality than the Wilton, although I found no flaws in the Wilton spatulas.

As I was ganaching my cake with a new spatula and trying to get straight sides (can't use a bench scraper to save my own sorry neck...), I kept getting an outward bulge in the middle. When I with no purpose grabbed the Wilton and used it, things straightened right out. I checked all the spatulas... the new ones all had a slight bow to the blade, but the Wilton spatulas were flat and true.

Who knew? I will be getting more Wilton spatulas to replace the new ones. Just thought I'd give credit where it's due, since we bash Wilton products so regularly (self included in "we").

8 replies
Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 9

I love Wilton products. The only thing I do not like is the taste of their fondant, it rolls better than any other and gives a wonderful smooth finish, better than any other brand I have tried so far but it tastes awful. Too bad, I would use it all the time otherwise.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 9

I love Wilton Too, I have a lot of their Products, also, I know some of their things are not great especially the fondant, but a lot of their things are wonderful.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 9

me too, love the fondant but hate the taste, easy to work with for sure

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 9

I agree it is easy to work with, but the taste is awful. Has anyone flavoured it? Does that help disquise the funny taste?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 5:50pm
post #6 of 9

i,ve read on here... that some people mix their wilton fondant. with chocolate clay. i need to try that.. i think earlene moore... suggests using the oil flavorings.. have to try that also.. i agree. it is really good to work with. much better than some of the other brands.. like satin ice...

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 5:55pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

i,ve read on here... that some people mix their wilton fondant. with chocolate clay. i need to try that.. i think earlene moore... suggests using the oil flavorings.. have to try that also.. i agree. it is really good to work with. much better than some of the other brands.. like satin ice...

thanks, I'll have to try that, I have some hearts drying right now, but will try with next batch

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 11:55am
post #8 of 9

When I was at the OSSAS I tasted the fondirific and it was wonderful and they were rolling it out with cornstarch or powdered sugar... I bought some and cant wait to use it! But wilton has some ok products although I think they sometimes need to do more to pick their instructors.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 12:13pm
post #9 of 9

I mixed the Wilton fondant with chocolate candy clay once, it was yummy! There weren't any flavors in the wilton to get in the way of the chocolate flavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%