For Once, Not A Wilton Bashing!

Decorating By grandmom Updated 5 Oct 2009 , 12:13pm by 2SchnauzerLady

grandmom Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 9

I have one medium Wilton icing spatula, and one small. Used them for years. Recently I bought spatulas of another well-known brand, in three sizes. I expected the new ones to be of better quality than the Wilton, although I found no flaws in the Wilton spatulas.

As I was ganaching my cake with a new spatula and trying to get straight sides (can't use a bench scraper to save my own sorry neck...), I kept getting an outward bulge in the middle. When I with no purpose grabbed the Wilton and used it, things straightened right out. I checked all the spatulas... the new ones all had a slight bow to the blade, but the Wilton spatulas were flat and true.

Who knew? I will be getting more Wilton spatulas to replace the new ones. Just thought I'd give credit where it's due, since we bash Wilton products so regularly (self included in "we").

8 replies
Cakeonista Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 9

I love Wilton products. The only thing I do not like is the taste of their fondant, it rolls better than any other and gives a wonderful smooth finish, better than any other brand I have tried so far but it tastes awful. Too bad, I would use it all the time otherwise.

Uniqueask Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 9

I love Wilton Too, I have a lot of their Products, also, I know some of their things are not great especially the fondant, but a lot of their things are wonderful.

tatorchip Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 9

me too, love the fondant but hate the taste, easy to work with for sure

auntiecake Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 9

I agree it is easy to work with, but the taste is awful. Has anyone flavoured it? Does that help disquise the funny taste?

icer101 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 5:50pm
post #6 of 9

i,ve read on here... that some people mix their wilton fondant. with chocolate clay. i need to try that.. i think earlene moore... suggests using the oil flavorings.. have to try that also.. i agree. it is really good to work with. much better than some of the other brands.. like satin ice...

tatorchip Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 5:55pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

i,ve read on here... that some people mix their wilton fondant. with chocolate clay. i need to try that.. i think earlene moore... suggests using the oil flavorings.. have to try that also.. i agree. it is really good to work with. much better than some of the other brands.. like satin ice...

thanks, I'll have to try that, I have some hearts drying right now, but will try with next batch

scionmom Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 11:55am
post #8 of 9

When I was at the OSSAS I tasted the fondirific and it was wonderful and they were rolling it out with cornstarch or powdered sugar... I bought some and cant wait to use it! But wilton has some ok products although I think they sometimes need to do more to pick their instructors.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 12:13pm
post #9 of 9

I mixed the Wilton fondant with chocolate candy clay once, it was yummy! There weren't any flavors in the wilton to get in the way of the chocolate flavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%