Looking For Sturdy Yellow Cake Recipe -Not Poundcake

Baking By nc123 Updated 6 Oct 2009 , 2:35pm by Barb1959

nc123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nc123 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 12

Hello

Hoping someone can recommend a yellow cake recipe - I'm using it to do a sculpted cake and my two favorite recipes are pretty light & fluffy. Taste great but not what I'm looking for. I do not want a poundcake, just a sturdy yellow cake that can be cut with crumbling too much. It will be baked in a 16 inch round, 3 inches high so poundcake would not be a great choice. Just a cake with low crumb.

Is the 'Easy Yellow Cake' on the recipe list (the one with 9 stars) good to use? Anyone tried it?

Any suggestions would be great! I have a ton of cookbooks, but last minute I just want a cake recipe that works & comes out the way I want and not tool around with.

Thanks guys!

11 replies
kristyokronley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristyokronley Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 12

Try a fellow cc'er Heartfire's "Durable cake for 3D and Wedding Cakes"
my new go to recipe. All my "I don't eat cake" customers love it. Me too.
Delish and firm enough to carve.

nc123 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 12

Excellent- I'll look for it now, thanks for the reply!!

nc123 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 12

Just found the recipe and saw it was from a mix. Nothing wrong with that but I don't have a mix in the house and out of sour cream. (Does look great though and love the fact it has so many stars and positive comments!!!) Any scratch recipes that anyone would recommend? Will bake the tonight.

Barb1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb1959 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 11:50pm
post #5 of 12

I just made a Golden VanillaCake that I got from kingarthurflour.com. It is delicious. Firm texture almost like a pound cake, but not. It makes 6 1/2 cups batter. It made a 10" x 2/12 for me. Hope this helps.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 12:59am
post #6 of 12

I like using All Occasion Downy Yellow Cake from the Cake Bible: http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/632909-All-Occasion-Downy-Yellow-Butter-Cake

Very sturdy but tender and moist. Great taste. Some people have trouble with it but I've always had great results. Just follow the recipe to the letter.

Always chill well before carving.

ClaireJohn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClaireJohn Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 1:13am
post #7 of 12

I use an All butter Madeira Cake recipe. This is for a 6" round tin so you will have to work out how many times to multiply it to your requirements.
6oz butter (must be real butter!)
6oz caster sugar
9oz self raising flour
3 eggs
bake at around 150oC for 45mins
This recipe is perfect for carving and keeps very moist too

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 1:19am
post #8 of 12

I like Sylvia Weinstock's Yellow recipe....

Barb1959 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 1:31pm
post #9 of 12

What is caster sugar. Is this regular granulated or powdered. Sometimes its confusing when we hear from other countries. Just wanted to know.
Thanks.

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 1:51pm
post #10 of 12

I think you will enjoy Sylvia Weinstock's yellow cake. (The recipe is posted somewhere on the Internet.) It is one of my family's favorites! Having made this recipe countless times, I know it would hold up to carving/sculpting. HTH!

nc123 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 4:39am
post #11 of 12

Thanks for the suggestions!!! icon_biggrin.gif

BTW I think caster sugar is superfine granulated sugar - a link to wisegeek.com for the definition.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-caster-sugar.htm

Barb1959 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 2:35pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc123

Thanks for the suggestions!!! icon_biggrin.gif

BTW I think caster sugar is superfine granulated sugar - a link to wisegeek.com for the definition.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-caster-sugar.htm

Thanks for the link

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%