Newbie Help For Sky-Diving Cake!!pics!!!

Decorating By Lilly87 Updated 4 Oct 2009 , 9:33pm by sugarandslice

Lilly87 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 9:44am
post #1 of 4

Hello everyone,

I am very new to cake decorating, but I am really enjoying reading, learning and practicing techniques. I would love some help with my darling partners 21st bday cake! Please think back to your very first or second cake (I've made about 3 so far...and I would love this make to be the one that makes me brim with pride!)...and any help would be appreciated greatly!

I don't like how roughly made this one is. I would love for mine to be as flawless as possible.

Could you please tell me:
-What kind of icing I should use?
-Should I bake the cakes and freeze them prior to frosting?
-Will I need buttercream under the fondant if I choose to use that?
-Should I precolour my fondant, or paint it after I apply it?
-How should I store the cake while I work on it?
-Should I make my figures out of fondant, royal icing, gumpaste or marzipan?

Any tips, ideas or suggestions would be vastly appreciated. Basically I would like to know the steps you would take in making this cake![/img]

3 replies
sugarandslice Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 10:53am
post #2 of 4

These are my suggestions in answer to your questions:
- use fondant (either make your own mmf or buy ready to roll fondant)
- baking and freezing is personal preference but if you bake them in plenty of time and freeze then at least that's one less thing to stress about, or if anything goes wrong you've got time to bake again.
- lots of people use buttercream under fondant but I prefer chocolate ganache. There are a number of threads about ganache so do a search if you choose to do that.
- much easier to pre-colour your fondant. If you have time do it a day or so in advance so the colours have time to develop (they will go darker with time)
- once a cake has fondant on it don't refrigerate or cover with plastic, just leave it out somewhere safe!
- figures, again it's personal preference. As a newbie to figures myself I find a 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpaste the easiest to work with.

Good luck. Be sure to post a pic when you're finished.

Lilly87 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 12:17pm
post #3 of 4

Thankyou so much emcm!

I like the taste of ganache better than icing, so that'll be great!

sugarandslice Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 4

No worries!
Have fun

Quote by @%username% on %date%