Making Draping And Swags For Cakes

Decorating By Cricketina Updated 5 Oct 2009 , 8:32am by kitty122000

Cricketina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricketina Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 5:48am
post #1 of 11

I am wanting so bad to make the beautiful material looking fondant bunched up Swags and draping for my cakes .... But I cant figure out how to make it nicely and I cant find a tutorial or directions!!! The only thing I can find is a mold and it is really expensive...and I prob will end up buying one if I have to icon_sad.gif ...But I would rather learn to make myself to keep cost down if possible!

Thanks in advance for the help you all are just Awsome!!! I honestly think cake decorators are some of the Nicest people I have met...so giving and helpful thumbs_up.gif

10 replies
ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 10:51am
post #2 of 11

i think there is one on wilton, i'll try and find it for you

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 11

i struggled with this too. what worked for me was placing the fondant over a few thin dowels.
it will look like an accordian (stretched out) on the dowels. when you slide the dowels out, and carefully bunch up the ends it looks like fabric.
the biggest problem with this is that it's easy to poke a hole in the fondant with the dowel (actually i used paintbrush handles). i also tried this using 50/50 gumpaste fondant and found that it was easier. hth.

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 11

Have you tried searching on utube?

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 11

I had six wedding cakes this week and FOUR of them had drapes icon_cry.gif - I feel your pain!!! I make my own fondant to cover my cakes but I always use Wilton fondant for the drapes. It's like play dough - much easier to work with. I roll out a long thin strip on a lightly greased surface, cut it to size with my pizza cutter and then place the long strip over three thin wooden dowels. The dowels have to be longer than the fondant strips for it to work properly. Then I gently rub the fondant along the top of each dowel to imprint the shape of the dowel into the fondant and then gently slide the dowels out. This leaves me with a strip of fondant with three humps. I sort of push the humps tighter together and then I just lift it up, gently turn it over and brush with a bit of vanilla, then I put it in place. Wilton fondant will stretch a bit but it very rarely tears or breaks.

Good luck!

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 11

Sorry, I know there is a video on utube for this. I have seen it before, but I couldn't find it. I do the same thing that Classycakes does. It works ok. Just roll out fondant trim to the length you need drape over small dowels, rub gently, pull out dowels, sqeeze end together to create the swag look. I just brushed mine with a little water, but they stuck ok. Not to much though.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classycakes

I I roll out a long thin strip on a lightly greased surface, cut it to size with my pizza cutter and then place the long strip over three thin wooden dowels. The dowels have to be longer than the fondant strips for it to work properly. Then I gently rub the fondant along the top of each dowel to imprint the shape of the dowel into the fondant and then gently slide the dowels out. This leaves me with a strip of fondant with three humps. I sort of push the humps tighter together and then I just lift it up, gently turn it over and brush with a bit of vanilla, then I put it in place. Good luck!

I do this but use four dowels on top to make the humps. Dowel on the bottom then a dowel on top inbetween and push down. A dowel at the top and bottom to get a good finished edge. Slide all the dowels out and pinch the ends together. Use your glue, vodka, vanilla or the like to set in place. I did not like the mold at all. hth

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 3:42pm
post #8 of 11

ooh I've been wondering about this too, thanks for the all the information icon_smile.gif I'll have to give it a go now I know. It definitely helps if you put a bit of tylo powder into fondant it really makes it easier to handle.

Cricketina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricketina Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 8:22pm
post #9 of 11

wow thanks sooo much ladies I think I can do it now!!! great description with the dowel idea thumbs_up.gif

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 8:39pm
post #10 of 11

Deco Pac has on it's website in the catalog of wedding cakes a picture tutorial of "Fondant Swag Instructions. HTH. I used this to learn how to make swags for a cake recently.
Hammy

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 8:32am
post #11 of 11

Here's the Deco Pac tutorial as PP mentioned http://www.decopac.com/resources/printmat/WeddDecoratorsGuide08.pdf page 69

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%