How To Attach Gumpaste Handle To Fondant

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 4 Oct 2009 , 10:35pm by msulli10

cakesrock Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 2:44am
post #1 of 8

I am making a mug cake and have never worked with gumpaste. I need to attach the gumpaste handle to the fondant mug.

What should I use to attach?

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
cabecakes Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 4:14am
post #2 of 8

Is the handle very heavy? If it is weighty, you may want to insert some small dowels in the ends of the handle and attach to the side of the fondant mug with royal icing. I would place something under the handle until the royal icing had a chance to harden. I've never done this before, but if I were going to try it, that is how I would do it. Do you have a practice mug you could try it out on first to make sure it doesn't mess up your cake. I'd be afraid the handle might rip the cake.

jlynnw Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 4:27am
post #3 of 8

I would have dowels or lollipop sticks to insert into the cake. I would make the handle light wieght, foil covered with gumpaste perhaps. I like to use chocolate to glue things on like that. If you are really good, you can make and upright dowel that has wholes in it to secure the handle dowels. That would take some presicion but would work to prevent the handle ripping the cake. You could stack the cake with straws to mark the spot for the handle. Cover the cake in bc or fondant and then insert the handle sticks into the straw. KWIM That should work.

cakesrock Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the advice! It's quite a small mug and handle, so I think "RI glue" may work. I will post it if it works out. But I am practicing for a bigger cake and handle, so this is great info I can apply towards that project... icon_biggrin.gif

msulli10 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 3:18pm
post #5 of 8

You can also use melted chocolate that way you don't have to mix up an entire batch of royal icing. It sets very quickly and can use white chocolate so it doesn't show.

cabecakes Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 8

Jlynnw's idea sounds better then mine. Much more secure. Less chance of breaking the cake or handle falling off. Thanks for the tip jlynnw. I'll try to remember that one.

cakesrock Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 5:59pm
post #7 of 8

I ended up using the melted choc idea because the handle was so small and I didn't want to make a whole batch of RI. It worked well - see attached photo. Thanks for the advice! icon_smile.gif
LL

msulli10 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 10:35pm
post #8 of 8

adorable

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%