How Should I Transport This Cake?

Decorating By abra526 Updated 4 Oct 2009 , 1:40pm by abra526

abra526 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 12:50am
post #1 of 8

I get so nervous everytime I have to transport a cake by myself. I live 30 minutes outside of town, so usually my deliveries are at least that far. Most cakes that I do are BC, and fairly easy to transport, but this cake has so many new elements, that I'm afraid it will fall apart as I drive into town. My first 2 miles are gravel! any tips will be appreciated!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1478885

7 replies
sadsmile Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 1:03am
post #2 of 8

I know what you mean! the Lady bug in my photos went for an hour drive on I-95 and thru-CONSTRUCTION zones with uneven lanes! I was sweating bullets! That cupcake on top was all butter cream and was wiggling like jello! But it made it.

Make sure your supports are not below the surface of your layer and the next layer rest wholly on them. And they are perfectly up and down and in the right places.

A center dowl helps.

Make sure the surface the cake sitts on is level!

Drive like there is an egg blanced on your hood that will fall if you stop, start or turn to fast.

Believe it or not sometimes bumps are better at a faster speed that make the cake giggle, then slowing down and making the cake rock back and forth.

I hate driving a cake!

Oh and out of direct sunlight helps it keep cooler.

The cooler the firmer it will stay.

Crank up that AC!

dorie67 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 1:18am
post #3 of 8

Lots of luck with the transport, your cake is adorable princess.gif

step0nmi Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 1:29am
post #4 of 8

i second everything that sadsmile has said. icon_smile.gif Also, make sure that you have a totally flat surface to put the cake on. also, make yourself a "Slow, Wedding Cake on Board" sign and tape it to the back of your car or put it in your back window. People are more understanding if you have that on there and are going 25 mph icon_lol.gif

Good Luck with transport! It's the most hated part of decorating for me icon_redface.gif

cabecakes Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 4:54am
post #5 of 8

You may also want to get you some of the non-skid foam shelf liner stuff. I don't know what it's called but it's kind of spongy. Put that under you cake to keep it from sliding around in the box or tape the cake to the bottom of the box so it doesn't slide back and forth, to and fro.

Cricketina Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 5:56am
post #6 of 8

A awsome CCR designed a car sign that says Cake in Transit sorry !!
I think it has a pic of a pretty cake on the back of a Turtle and the turtle is saying sorry...lol I know it wont help the bumps and thumps But it will help rushing drivers understand why you are creeping along so careful and SLOW...Her sign is so adorable It just made me smile icon_biggrin.gif I dold her she should change the saying to Cake On Board....like the Baby on Board signs...lol !!! Sorry I wish I could remember who did this it was genius!!!!

But you could even design and print one out on your computer for deliveries...Good luck with the Bumps !!! I think transit is a decorators major anxiety!!! God Bless

dorie67 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 12:39pm
post #7 of 8

Lots of luck with the transport, your cake is adorable princess.gif

abra526 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 1:40pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all the tips guys! I always know I can count on CC'rs! I think my husband may have a new roll of that nonslip stuff out in the garage...great tip!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%