Color

Decorating By Sykesgirl Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 1:02am by Sykesgirl

Sykesgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sykesgirl Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 18

Can anyone help me with the color of dust for this cake? I only have Michaels and AC Moore here, so I will need to probably order. Has anyone achieved this color, if so what color did you use? I have 6 days before the wedding! icon_confused.gif Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
LL

17 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 18

I have achieved the exact same color which I will be using for my next cake. I used gold airbrush color and mixed in a bit of gold and lots of pearl dusts. The amount of dusts will change the look. You can add alcohol if the mixture becomes to thick.

Sykesgirl Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 11:34pm
post #3 of 18

YOU ARE WONDERFUL RYLAN!!!!! I will give it a try! THANK YOU!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Rylan Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 18

No problem. The pearl dust is the key to make the gold lighter.

Sykesgirl Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 11:53pm
post #5 of 18

Rylan,
I have already tried the Gold pearl dust and I also have the bronze and neither gives me that color. What colors do I mix? Sorry I should have asked before getting all excited. LOL I thought there was a color of just pearl. New to this. Thanks

Rylan Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 1:22am
post #6 of 18

Super pearl is just like the color of pearls. Basically white with a sheen.

Here are the things I used:

Americolor gold airbrush color (liquid color, used for airbrush)
Gold luster dust
Super pearl luster dust
alcohol (vodka)

What I did is I added some pearl dusts on my airbrush color and then add a bit of gold and lots of super pearl dust. I think you can do this without the gold dust. I added a few drops of vodka to make it thinner.

The outcome looked like a lighter version of gold--which looks like the one in picture.

Btw, thanks for posting the picture because I've been trying to visualize how that color would go with white.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 1:41am
post #7 of 18

Just another option: You should test this on a plate to see if it is the right colour first but try mixing pearl dust with a bit of brown paste colouring and vodka and see how it turns out

Sykesgirl Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 2:07am
post #8 of 18

Where would I purchase brown paste? Is that something that you can ingest? I am going to try both so that I can get this color right.
Thank you for looking at the pic and giving me some great advise on this issue. Its a beautiful cake and I want to do well because it is my first wedding cake. I just love this site! You all are great!

Elise87 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 2:13am
post #9 of 18

Sure the brown paste is edible! Not sure what colouring you use but they are like the liquid colouring but in a gel/paste form and more concentrated. I buy wilton brand but you can also buy americolor but here is what the wilton looks like anyway to get an idea:

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3e30b2d9-475a-bac0-5d5c3db846dfd354

Also i think that the gold mixed with pearl dust would also work and you could also add a touch of brown or even a tiny touch of black gel/paste colouring to the mix too, you will just have to play around.

and yes it is a very pretty cake icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 2:51am
post #10 of 18

Ya know it almost looks like it is both gold with silver highlights. or is that just the way the light is hitting it? I would go for the color Rylan is suggesting. The brown icing color will darken it to a much to rich deep gold color.

Sykesgirl Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 2:45am
post #11 of 18

Just wanted to let you all know that IT WORKED!!!!! Thanks for the tips and the brown paste gave me the color that I needed to make this work. You are great, thanks so very much! I lost 50 pounds of stress! I cant wait to put th scrolls on the cake!

Elise87 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 3:11am
post #12 of 18

glad that it worked out! and good luck with the cake!!!

what colour dusts did u use? the pearl, gold or both with the brown paste?

Sykesgirl Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 1:09pm
post #13 of 18

Mostly pearl with the brown then I added a little gold, not much until I got the color I needed to match the topper. I will post a pic when I get it together. icon_biggrin.gif

Sykesgirl Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 11:33am
post #14 of 18

I just wanted to thank you all for your help. The bride LOVED it! WHEW!
LL

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 2:04pm
post #15 of 18

Oh wow that looks great!

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 8:00pm
post #16 of 18

Looks great Did you make the topper also?

Elise87 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 11:50pm
post #17 of 18

turned out really nice!!

Sykesgirl Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:02am
post #18 of 18

No I didn't do the topper the couple picked that out. Thank you so much! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%