Decorating By Sykesgirl Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 1:02am by Sykesgirl

Sykesgirl Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 18

Can anyone help me with the color of dust for this cake? I only have Michaels and AC Moore here, so I will need to probably order. Has anyone achieved this color, if so what color did you use? I have 6 days before the wedding! icon_confused.gif Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

17 replies
Rylan Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 18

I have achieved the exact same color which I will be using for my next cake. I used gold airbrush color and mixed in a bit of gold and lots of pearl dusts. The amount of dusts will change the look. You can add alcohol if the mixture becomes to thick.

Sykesgirl Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 11:34pm
post #3 of 18

YOU ARE WONDERFUL RYLAN!!!!! I will give it a try! THANK YOU!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Rylan Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 18

No problem. The pearl dust is the key to make the gold lighter.

Sykesgirl Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 11:53pm
post #5 of 18

I have already tried the Gold pearl dust and I also have the bronze and neither gives me that color. What colors do I mix? Sorry I should have asked before getting all excited. LOL I thought there was a color of just pearl. New to this. Thanks

Rylan Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 1:22am
post #6 of 18

Super pearl is just like the color of pearls. Basically white with a sheen.

Here are the things I used:

Americolor gold airbrush color (liquid color, used for airbrush)
Gold luster dust
Super pearl luster dust
alcohol (vodka)

What I did is I added some pearl dusts on my airbrush color and then add a bit of gold and lots of super pearl dust. I think you can do this without the gold dust. I added a few drops of vodka to make it thinner.

The outcome looked like a lighter version of gold--which looks like the one in picture.

Btw, thanks for posting the picture because I've been trying to visualize how that color would go with white.

Elise87 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 1:41am
post #7 of 18

Just another option: You should test this on a plate to see if it is the right colour first but try mixing pearl dust with a bit of brown paste colouring and vodka and see how it turns out

Sykesgirl Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 2:07am
post #8 of 18

Where would I purchase brown paste? Is that something that you can ingest? I am going to try both so that I can get this color right.
Thank you for looking at the pic and giving me some great advise on this issue. Its a beautiful cake and I want to do well because it is my first wedding cake. I just love this site! You all are great!

Elise87 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 2:13am
post #9 of 18

Sure the brown paste is edible! Not sure what colouring you use but they are like the liquid colouring but in a gel/paste form and more concentrated. I buy wilton brand but you can also buy americolor but here is what the wilton looks like anyway to get an idea:

Also i think that the gold mixed with pearl dust would also work and you could also add a touch of brown or even a tiny touch of black gel/paste colouring to the mix too, you will just have to play around.

and yes it is a very pretty cake icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 2:51am
post #10 of 18

Ya know it almost looks like it is both gold with silver highlights. or is that just the way the light is hitting it? I would go for the color Rylan is suggesting. The brown icing color will darken it to a much to rich deep gold color.

Sykesgirl Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 2:45am
post #11 of 18

Just wanted to let you all know that IT WORKED!!!!! Thanks for the tips and the brown paste gave me the color that I needed to make this work. You are great, thanks so very much! I lost 50 pounds of stress! I cant wait to put th scrolls on the cake!

Elise87 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 3:11am
post #12 of 18

glad that it worked out! and good luck with the cake!!!

what colour dusts did u use? the pearl, gold or both with the brown paste?

Sykesgirl Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 1:09pm
post #13 of 18

Mostly pearl with the brown then I added a little gold, not much until I got the color I needed to match the topper. I will post a pic when I get it together. icon_biggrin.gif

Sykesgirl Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 11:33am
post #14 of 18

I just wanted to thank you all for your help. The bride LOVED it! WHEW!

sadsmile Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 2:04pm
post #15 of 18

Oh wow that looks great!

zdebssweetsj Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 8:00pm
post #16 of 18

Looks great Did you make the topper also?

Elise87 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 11:50pm
post #17 of 18

turned out really nice!!

Sykesgirl Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:02am
post #18 of 18

No I didn't do the topper the couple picked that out. Thank you so much! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%