Novice Here And I Need Help Making Red And Black Buttercream

Decorating By luvmygirl Updated 6 Oct 2009 , 2:06am by milkmaid42

luvmygirl Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 9

Can you tell me step by step how to get these colors-
I have never had any luck and I remember you need to start these colors days ahead so I will be ready now.

Make a white buttercream?

How to get black? How to get red?

Thanks so much! I am making a penguin cake for my daughters b'day
just the actual penguins will have small amounts of red, black and white!

8 replies
sweetcravings Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 9

For red buttercream i would advise using americolor super red, it gives a nice red and uses much less than lets say wilton red. You could use a whole bottle of that stuff and still come out pink.
Black..start with either chocolate buttercream, or tint the icing brown to start then go add the black. Again, i use americolor super black..love the stuff. HTH

Cakepro Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 2:39am
post #3 of 9

LOL, you don't need to start days ahead to make black or red buttercream! I have always used Americolors with fantastic (and instant) results, but recently tried Chefmaster with equally excellent results. Wilton colors are definitely NOT the best, although they will work if that's all you have and you add about the whole bottle.

cabecakes Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 4:19am
post #4 of 9

I ditto what sweet cravings said. Especially about the black. My daughter made penguins for her fair cake, and she got the black by using chocolate marshmallow fondant and then adding the black to it.

BakeLoveMom Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 4:37am
post #5 of 9

When I was first starting out and it would only be a little bit I would need, I would just use the wilton frosting in the tube already colored. Now I have learned to make it myself and for red I use americolor powdered red so that it doesn't change the consistancy too much, then for black I use americolor super black and it is easier to start with chocolate bc, but you can start with white too. Hope that helps...Good luck

Cricketina Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 6:03am
post #6 of 9

Americolor is the BEST It beats any other colors to pieces thumbs_up.gif The red will be RED and I dont know if someone has said this yet But when doing Black start with Chocolate and then tint to black desired...Because Ive HEARD to much DYE causes Diarrea....Not sure but it makes sense! Good luck with your sweetie pies penguin cake!!! God Bless!

kitcae Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 4:15pm
post #7 of 9

Where do you get Americolor?

mgwebb68 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 5:54pm
post #8 of 9

I will add to the vote for Americolor Super Red and Super Black. I added them straight to white fondant and got immediate results. Even when I mixed them in after I made my fondant (meaning, not when melting the marshmallows).

You can order them online from several sources, Global Sugar Art and Kitchen Krafts are two that carry them. But if you have a local cake/baker supply they should carry them.

milkmaid42 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 2:06am
post #9 of 9

Ditto for the Americolor. You can also go to www.americolor.org to order on line.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%