Gum Paste Ginger Bread

Decorating By BeeBoos-8599_ Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 1:12am by BeeBoos-8599_

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 6

I know this is not a "cake" decortating question but I think this is where I will get the best results.

I am helping to decorate a victorian mansion for the holidays and the theme is Gingerbread. My partner make a replica of the mansion and wants a gingerbread bridal party to go outside of it. I don't want to use real gignerbread so I thought I would use Gum Paste. I need to figure out what combo of colors I need to use to get the right shade. I also want to add some spices to it so they smell real. Any thoughts on either?

5 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 6

I don't have any ideas for you, but it would be worth playing around with it to see what works! (I love gingerbread houses!)

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 12:15am
post #3 of 6

I used chocolate candy clay on a candyland cake for gingerbread men. (No ginger spice though). It was easy to work with! (See my photos)

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 1:32am
post #4 of 6

Maybe you can make use of ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc for soil on flower pots. That will make it smell like gingerbread.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 6

I took some gumpast and kneaded some ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg into it and it gives it a real gingerbread smell. It also gave it some little speckles wich I think will add to the real appearance. Now I just have to get the color combo right. OH, I also used acrylic "puffy" paint and added some details and I think it will be a great alternative to real RI. It seems to adhere well which was my main consern. Thanks for the input!

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:12am
post #6 of 6

Just wanted to update you, This worked SO WELL. It cut beautifully and dried just perfectly. The little gingerbread people smell great and my kids kept trying to eat them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%