I'm Only 15 (:

Business By tatiana0111 Updated 7 Oct 2009 , 7:16am by Shawnswife

tatiana0111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatiana0111 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 17

I took the wilton courses earlier this year and since then i've been making cakes like crazy. I've made alot of money off the little 6" personal cakes for kids at school, and their birthdays.
It's made me pretty well known in my high school too. I have a few questions though. First of all i just read the cake boss pricing article and it helped. Cause right now I charge 6 dollars for a 6 inch one layer, and 8 for two layers. I make cakes as big as a half sheet,and i dont charge anymore that 25 for anything but i have some tiered cakes for 60. I just feel like im not making much money,and i put sooo much work into these cakes, but im afraid that if i jack my prices up, people wont buy them. ALSO, i started out using cake mixes and just adding pudding and other stuff to the batter but i feel like im cheating my costumers. im trying to shift into using all homemade things. I also need a NAME. my bff is making my business cards but i cant think of a name. I though of, Got Cake? Like an all black business card, with that written in white like the got milk signs and all my info on the back, but my dad says thats played out. any ideas? I'm a young entrepreneur and i plan to go very far. I'm very passionate about my cakes, here's some pictures.
LL
LL
LL

16 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 17

You make great cakes, Tatiana!! I just have a few comments. Using mixes or mixes with pudding added isn't "cheating" ~~ I bake everything from scratch because I like to, but it's not mandatory!

What kind of business name are you looking for? If you just want to market to your classmates, I'd pick something that's school-related. Like, if you're mascot's a cougar, go with "Cougar Cakes." If you want to keep this name on into adulthood, then choose something classier. I agree with your dad that you shouldn't use "got cake", but just because that might get you into trouble with the dairy board. Borrowing their slogan probably goes against copyright laws. Once you do choose a name, you should go on the internet and research to make sure it's not already being used by another business.

Good for you for getting such a great start so early in life!!! Best of luck on your business! thumbs_up.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 17

There's nothing wrong with using cake mixes...even bakeries use cake mixes, not noecessarily the ones that we buy at the grocery store, but still cake mix.

The only thing about handing out business cards is a legal issue. Some states don't let people bake cakes at home and sell them, and others require you to get licensed. Before you start advertising, you need to find out what's legal in your area, so that you don't do the wrong thing and end up getting your parents fined for it. I'm not trying to discourage you at all, it's just something to look into before you start giving out your card to lots of people.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 17

i'm so proud of you!

you are doing so great!

you need to check the legalities of baking from home sand selling it in your state....some are super easy, some not so much.

scratch or mix...just find out what works best for you, and what your customers like, and go from there....theres no cheating

you are gonna learn a ton of stuff on this site.

WELCOME....glad to have you here.

ashleybs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleybs Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 8:03pm
post #5 of 17

Hi Tatiana! Im 16 years old and I'm doing the same thing as you! I just used my name as my buisness name.... Ashley B's Bakery. I use cake mixes too, I've never had anyone complain about the cakes, so I don't worry about it. Your cakes are great! It's exciting to see fellow, young entrepreneurs! icon_smile.gif I think you should raise your prices if you feel that you aren't making enough off of your cakes. People will pay it!
Good luck! I hope you'll do well!!! icon_smile.gif

mstay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mstay Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 8:28pm
post #6 of 17

your cakes are beautiful! I wish I would have gotten to start a young age. I have been wanting to learn how to decorate cakes for years and I haven't had the time and now finally I have the time to learn. I am gonna take a class starting next week. i have also learned a few things off if this website the people on this website are very helpful. Congrats on your cakes and your business.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 10:28pm
post #7 of 17

1. Find out if you can be a legal home-based business in your state. If you can't maybe you can find a commercial kitchen to use, maybe a church? They might let you use the kitchen if you check into it.
2. Get a business license if you can.
3. Raise your prices.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 10:41pm
post #8 of 17

Wonderful cakes!

I can understand you not wanting to overprice, but you're WAY to low! If you're only charging for cake mix, eggs, oil, shortening, PS, fondant, cake board and box (not to mention the hydro/gas to bake the cakes), you're losing money already - and you haven't even actually decorated the cake! You may want to slowly increase your prices, and say it's based on the cost of the ingredients going up. Eventually, you'll get to a proper price point for your work. Besides, you're in the age group with the highest disposable income, so they can afford you!

Like several others have already said, you need to check to make sure you can use whatever name you decide on. This can usually be done thru a state (or provincial, if you're Cdn) online search. A federal search is only necessary if you're going national, so I wouldn't worry about that just yet. Once you secure the name, it's yours for a pre-set time, so you'll have to renew it (usually about 5 yrs.). If you incorporate, the name is yours, forever. A search does cost, and so does the name registration, so keep that in mind.

And please check home bakery requirements for your county or city, as they vary from region to region. Each area usually sets their own requirements, so it's not a state/provincial thing.

Good luck!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 10:47pm
post #9 of 17

It's really nice to know that a young teen like you is interested in cake decorating. I'm very proud of you.

Anyways, I think you cakes are really cute. I can see you go far in this industry.

As for a business, you have to go to a process to make your business a legal business. Like mentioned above, check out the requirements in your county.

patty5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patty5 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 10:59pm
post #10 of 17

15! girl you got talent! you should increase your prices, now! thumbs_up.gif

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 11:20pm
post #11 of 17

Tatiana,
Your cakes are gorgeous! You have real talent.

I understand your pricing for the high school kids, but you really should charge higher prices.

I also recommend that you check into the legalities of baking cakes from your home. We live in a society that seems to think they can sue you if they stub their toe, while they're talking to you on the phone.

You have a beautiful name. Why not try something like Treasured Sweets by Tatiana?

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 12:43am
post #12 of 17

I agree with the others.. legalities first so no one winds up in a heap of trouble.

You are making beautiful cakes! What you are charging is not enough. Ingredients and an hourly wage should be covered from the cost of the cake-but legalities first. If it isn't legal in the state and county you live in to bake and sell goods from home, then don't stop making those beautiful cakes. Shift your cakes from paying customers to making things for family and friends that can go shopping with you and pay for the ingredients, so you are not out of pocket for their cake. thumbs_up.gif

Can I offer a tweak on the last name suggested...
Tatiana's Treasured Treats

tatiana0111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatiana0111 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 1:45am
post #13 of 17

Thanks everyone icon_smile.gif

cindy531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy531 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 2:06am
post #14 of 17

Beautiful cakes! You should get the "The Cake Mix Doctor" recipe book by Anne Byrn. It has tons of recipes using cake mix that have been doctored up....they taste awesome. Keep up the good work...You Go GIRL!

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 2:46am
post #15 of 17

sadsmile You got the name!

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 3:10am
post #16 of 17

Name ideas:
Cake-o-rama
Caketastic
Love that Cake
Icing on the Cake
Take the Cake
Have your Cake (and eat it)
Tatiana's Terrific Cakes
T and Cake (T as in Tatiana)
Sugar and Spice Cakes
Cakes for Kids (if you want to limit yourself to your school peers for a while)

Just a few ideas.
HTH

Shawnswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shawnswife Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 7:16am
post #17 of 17

WOW!!! I can honestly say that you have really inspired me with your cakes! I think it is wonderful, that at 15, you have found something that you are so wonderful at and enjoy! Most people still have no clue what they want to do with their life at 25! I wish you the best of luck!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%