Wilton Castle Cake Questions

Decorating By sullymel13 Updated 5 Oct 2009 , 4:12am by Cinnamonray615

sullymel13 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 3

I'm getting ready to make this cake for my girls' party next weekend. I had a couple of questions though! I want to do as much as I can in advance, and was hoping to cover the cones in royal icing, and then roll them in coarse sugar, and leaving them to dry a few days in advance. Will the icing dissolve the sugar, or do I have to do this closer to the party? I plan on covering the cakes with fondant (I have a lot of leftover from another cake that I want to use up), but will the plastic doors and windows stick to that? Can I just use a little RI to keep them from falling off? Should I use a little RI on the towers too, so they don't fall over?

Any other tips from those who have done these before would be greatly appreciated!

2 replies
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 3

I don't know if this will help or not.

I covered the tops of the turrets with fondant and lightly misted with water and then rolled in sugar. the sugar didn't dissolve. It's also what I used for my glue for the fondant on the cone part.

I'm not an expert with RI. I would think if you can barely mist it after it's dry it would work the same.

Hope I was some help.

Cinnamonray615 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 4:12am
post #3 of 3

I made the castle cake for a friend's daughter a few months ago and I covered the turrets with fondant and brushed them with shimmer dust. I found that the towers were a little unstable, so I cut the bottoms of the towers off and inserted dowels that ran from the top of the tower to the bottom of the cake it sat on...this made them VERY stable, which is important if you have top transport your cake at all. I think the windows would stick just fine to the fondant because they actually push into the side of the cake, but using a little royal icing as glue couldn't hurt! I think that if you use royal icing on the turrets that the sugars will be fine because RI dries very hard and I used the candy melts to attach the turrets to the towers and they held VERY well! Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%