Extending My Cake Pan!

Decorating By Sarsom Updated 11 Oct 2009 , 8:29am by JanH

Sarsom Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 4

I was told by another cake person I could increase my pan capacity. They said to take a 3 inch pan and put parchment paper around the edges, then fill cake batter to top of pan. This way I would end up with a 5 inch cake. Then I could just torte it. I am a little skeptical! she also said to bake it at a higher temperature for an hour and then reduce heat and if the top was getting too brown to cover it. Has anyone ever done this! She said it saves her time. I am still skeptical!

3 replies
JanH Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 8:35am
post #2 of 4

CC Article: How to Collar Cake Pans:

A lot of members (myself included) prefer to bake two 2" layers rather than one 3" layer because there are fewer baking issues and it doesn't take "forever" in the oven.

Baking a 4"+ deep cake will take forever... However, if you wish to try, I would recommend the temp. be no higher than 325F to prevent the exterior getting crunchy before the interior is fully cooked. Would also use bake-even strips and inverted flower nails in place of heating cores.

Here's a link to Wilton's cake preparation and servings guide:
(Gives batter requirements by pan sizes and recommended baking temps. and times. Although most members bake all their cakes at 325F.)

Sarsom Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks! I also prefer to do 2 2inch cakes! I had never really heard of this! The amount of time in the over would be way too long! Thanks for your response!

JanH Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 8:29am
post #4 of 4

You're very welcome. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%