Chocolate Mousse Keeps Making Cake Slip....

Decorating By AmyCakes2 Updated 4 Oct 2009 , 12:26am by prterrell

AmyCakes2 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 5

How do I go about from keeping this happening?? The past couple times my cakes have "slid", thus creating more havoc than what I have time for. I've tried everything I've known to try....making the dam thick enuf...thicker icing (bc icing)'s a pain!
What kind of mousse do you use?? I'm wondering if there's a way to make the mousse a little thicker??
Thanks in advance!!!

4 replies
prterrell Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 5

How much fillling are you putting in? Fillings should not be more thatn 1/4" thick.

AmyCakes2 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 5

Not putting that much in. I can do raspberry fillings, have done others, never a problem. Choc mousse is a pain in the rump......
Am going to try to add some unflavored gelatin and see that that stiffens it up some....

Loucinda Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 12:22am
post #4 of 5

To keep your cake from slipping - make a stiff dam for the outside edge, then take that stiff icing you used for the dam and make an X in the center of the cake with it, then till the areas between the X with the looser filling. The X along with the dam, will hold the cake together.

prterrell Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 12:26am
post #5 of 5

With mousse, another good thing to do is to apply the mousse, then refrigerate, then add the top layer, then refrigerate, then crumb-coat, then refrigerate, then ice and decorate. Each time, leave in fridge for 30-60 minutes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%