Fondant Purse Cake

Decorating By keylee98 Updated 4 Oct 2009 , 5:47pm by Jeff_Arnett

keylee98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keylee98 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 5

I made my first fondant covered purse cake yesterday. it looked wonderful after i finished it. however, about and hour later it was leaning and the fondant on the back was being crushed. I put 3 dowels in the cake... which i was confident was enough support?!?! However, even the the cake and dowels began leaning.

any suggestions on what i could do different next time to prevent this from happening? was the fondant just too heavy? did i dowel it wrong? did i stack the cake too high? I honestly don't know what i could of done differently.

attaching a pic of the problem...it only got worse AFTER this pic! I used soup cans to prop it up ...i was afraid it was just going to fall over! k it would not let me attach the pic???
LL

4 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 5

Looks cute!

Maybe it has to do with the cake recipe/filling you used? Did you use a sturdier/denser cake recipe?

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylee98

I made my first fondant covered purse cake yesterday. it looked wonderful after i finished it. however, about and hour later it was leaning and the fondant on the back was being crushed. I put 3 dowels in the cake... which i was confident was enough support?!?! However, even the the cake and dowels began leaning.

any suggestions on what i could do different next time to prevent this from happening? was the fondant just too heavy? did i dowel it wrong? did i stack the cake too high? I honestly don't know what i could of done differently.

attaching a pic of the problem...it only got worse AFTER this pic! I used soup cans to prop it up ...i was afraid it was just going to fall over! k it would not let me attach the pic???

Without knowing how the cake is layered, I am not sure what to tell you.....but here's how I do it.

For a cake this shape, I bake two 10 inch layer, slice off one side which becomes the purse's bottom, and fill the layers so that they are back to back rather than top to bottom. I use a 1/2 inch thick foamcore board and drill two 3/16 inch holes with my Foamwerks drills [from A.C.Moore....great investment of about $20] and glue in two 4 or 5 inch sharpened dowels, depending on the purse's height. I slide the layers down over the dowels to secure, the crumb and cover them.....very secure and nothing shifts or sags!

keylee98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keylee98 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you so much for the advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought about the dowels being attached somehow as an afterthought. I think that was the problem.
I also just used a yellow cake recipe...maybe it would work better with a more dense cake, like pound cake?

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylee98

Without knowing how the cake is layered, I am not sure what to tell you.....but here's how I do it.

For a cake this shape, I bake two 10 inch layers, slice off one side which becomes the purse's bottom, and fill the layers so that they are back to back rather than top to bottom. I use a 1/2 inch thick foamcore board and drill two 3/16 inch holes with my Foamwerks drills [from A.C.Moore....great investment of about $20] and glue in two 4 or 5 inch sharpened dowels, depending on the purse's height. I slide the layers down over the dowels to secure, then crumb and cover them.....very secure and nothing shifts or sags!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%