Source For Quality Chocolate

Decorating By kcassano Updated 6 Oct 2009 , 10:29pm by saffronica

kcassano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcassano Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Everyone: I am JUST starting to dabble in making cakes for money. I was wondering if anyone out there has a resource/vendor where they obtain GOOD quality chocolate to make their ganache. I use the setting (not pourable) ganache underneath fondant, and it can be very expensive. Currently I've been using Ghiradelli's 60% coaco bars, but it is quite pricing just purchasing from the local grocery store at $2.60 a pop (for 4 oz.). and since it's not the holiday season, my hopes of it going on sale and stocking up are all but gone.

So, anyone out there with a high quality, chocolate source? thanks in advance!!!

6 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 7

I order online from a company called Chocosphere. They're very nice to deal with. I've never really price-shopped, so I don't know how they compare to other places. HTH!

kcassano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcassano Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 7

thanks for the info, it's great! do you make ganache? if so, what brand/type do you use? I've heard mention of "Callebaut"...there are so many choices and I dont want to order the wrong kind. Would I use the "baking/cooking" chocolate, opposed to the ones for "personal enjoyment", right?

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 7

I've only ever made ganache once (to make a cream puff tree), so I'm not an expert, but I would think that you'd use the baking/cooking type. I buy Scharffen Berger chocolate, which I use to make cakes, frostings, pies, etc. HTH!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 7

I buy Ghiradelli's dark chocolate from Sam's Club (a bag of larger chips) and its reasonable and very good....they sell Hershey's milk and white as well, which is okay but I don't use it as much.

I just got an account with Sysco and they do sell Callebut but I can't afford that nice of chocolate! haha. I don't use it enough or I"d think about it.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 10:16pm
post #6 of 7

Contact Guittard and ask them for the name of a vendor near you.

Also, some Whole Foods stores sell Callebaut for a good price.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 10:29pm
post #7 of 7

Do you have a cake or restaurant supply store near you? I used to live near one, and I could buy a 5 lb. bag of Callebaut callets for $20-22, and yes, it is very good. Try www.gygi.com. (I know they ship supplies, but I haven't ordered online -- my parents live near the store, so we visit often enough that I still buy in person.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%