Echooo3 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:03pm
post #1 of 6

Or bad idea.

5 replies
paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 6

Bad bad idea.
Royal Icing will brake to the contact with any fat.
Pipe royal icing on fondant, pipe bc on bc.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 6

It works. icon_smile.gif

I use IMBC and I occasionally pipe royal icing detailing on the chilled cakes. I use a royal icing made of egg white though, for strength....not meringue powder.

Two things I do advise against are 1) putting it in the fridge, and therefore 2) trying to do the detailing too far in advance. The royal icing dries and gets hard to the touch enough, but not 100%. The fridge doesn't help. (I've left slices in the fridge after parties and the royal icing softens just a little overnight.)

Here's a pic (sorry, scanned a photo!) of one iced in dark choc IMBC and then detailed with paler brown royal icing:
LL

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 6:40pm
post #4 of 6

Wow, what a gorgeous cake!!! There's nothing I love more than some talented piping skills! thumbs_up.gif

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 6

it is beautiful, but royal gets really hard right, i've tried to make a crown out of it

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 9:15am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninatat

it is beautiful, but royal gets really hard right, i've tried to make a crown out of it

No, on buttercream or fat based icing won't RI get really hard. On my cake I have painted with RI. The brown black isn't chocolate but RI. You can see how it shines - and slightly bleeds under the lettering. I should wait longer for the icing to harden. The RI piping was not really RI hard - it got a consistency similar to Toba Garett's glaze - safe to touch but not really hard.

P.S. And when I grow up, I want to have the piping skills of Antonia!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%