Hi-Ratio Shortening V. Crisco

Decorating By CutiePieCakes-Ontario Updated 4 Oct 2009 , 12:39am by Deb_

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 6:23am
post #1 of 8

For the first time, I tried some hi-ratio shortening to make my BC. I was at the Bulk Barn to pick up a cake board and box, and didn't want to make another stop, so I got some while I was there.

The difference in the BC when I made it was amazing! It was incredibly smooth, both visually and in texture. No white lumps, and it mixed so much better than Crisco. And the price was comparable. It was $5.40/kg for hi-ratio, and I think a 1.3 kg tub of Crisco is about $7.00 - the same amount of hi-ratio is darn near the same price. icon_biggrin.gif

After this, I don't think I'll ever go back to Crisco. thumbs_up.gif

7 replies
neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 8

Hello there from a fellow Canadian:
What brand of High ratio did you buy? I've only tried it once, and wasn't all that impressed. Although I wouldn't be opposed to giving it another try. I think the one I got was "Sweetex" maybe. We drive through Hamilton each and every time I go home to visit my family. I live in the Pittsburgh area. It's 4 hours to the Peace Bridge and another 1.5 to some of my family.

How long have you been doing cakes? Is Stelco open again?
Thanks for listening.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by neecerator

Hello there from a fellow Canadian:
What brand of High ratio did you buy? I've only tried it once, and wasn't all that impressed. Although I wouldn't be opposed to giving it another try. I think the one I got was "Sweetex" maybe. We drive through Hamilton each and every time I go home to visit my family. I live in the Pittsburgh area. It's 4 hours to the Peace Bridge and another 1.5 to some of my family.

How long have you been doing cakes? Is Stelco open again?
Thanks for listening.

I got it from the Bulk Barn, so I can't tell you what the brand name is. Bulk Barn's are all over the province, so wherever you're going, there should be one. Maybe there's something in the HR shortening in Canada that's different from the US. I know we have different food control standards. I'm not sure you could get it over the border, though, since it's not in a pre-sealed package. Should enquire about that before you go to the expense.

I've only been doing cakes for this year. Took my courses last fall and this past spring. Frankly, I don't remember if Stelco is open yet. (My bad.) I think it's still closed. The plant on Lake Erie is on lockout and the head office is slowly removing all raw product from the plant, it looks like they'll be closed for good soon. And the gov't is trying to sue the new US owners of Stelco for not keeping their contractual agreement to keep a minimum number of employees at all times. Oh, the fun of it all!

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 8

Between crisco and Hi ratio I prefer Hi ratio It is emulsified which makes it lighter and fluffier and doesnt taste greasy. IMO icon_rolleyes.gif

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 8

hm...I didn't really see a difference and it was way, way, way more expensive than crisco (unless I order it online, which is a pita)

laney19702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laney19702 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 10:11pm
post #6 of 8

what is high ratio shortening, all we have is lard or crisco, so could someone please explain to me the difference? TIA icon_confused.gif

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 10:24pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rharris524

hm...I didn't really see a difference and it was way, way, way more expensive than crisco (unless I order it online, which is a pita)

Maybe it's the supplier making it? Like I said above, I got it from a bulk food store, which doesn't have labels on its products, so I can't say where it's from. But I figured out the cost, and it's only slightly more per kilo than Crisco, and so much nicer to work with (and the taste isn't as greasy).

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 12:39am
post #8 of 8

hi-ratio rocks. It's made specifically for making icings/baking.

Just remember if you don't have a recipe that's been written specifically for hi-ratio shortening the results will vary.

When substituting hi-ratio for Crisco it is not a 1:1 ratio switch. For every cup of Crisco called for you only need about 2/3 cup of hi-ratio.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%