Using Bowls To Bake A Cake

Decorating By agentdorkfish Updated 3 Oct 2009 , 3:38pm by FACSlady

agentdorkfish Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:10am
post #1 of 15

For Halloween, I was wanting to make a cake with a Jack-o-Lantern sitting on top. I have heard that you can make cakes using Pyrex glass bowls. Y'all are the experts, so tell me if this is a good idea of a bad idea. My thinking is that I make two cakes with the bowls and use that for the Jack-o-Lantern, frost it then cover it with fondant. How stable would that be? Would it even work? I've never done anything like this before!

14 replies
sadsmile Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:16am
post #2 of 15

A nice and sturdy Pound Cake would!

catlharper Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:27am
post #3 of 15

Ok, I have done this...used Pyrex, I mean. I'm using it twice in the next week, in fact. However, this is not the best way to make a Jack o Lantern cake...a bundt pan used twice to make the two halves of the pumpkin works great! You end up with a very realistic looking pumpkin. A pyrex tends to be a little too slanted...more like a bee hive than a pumpkin. I will be using two stacked one upside down on the other for a honey pot in you can get an idea of what two together would look like. Now if your bowls are more rounded and not so flattened or tapered then they would look good for a pumpkin. Let us know what you end up with!

agentdorkfish Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:35am
post #4 of 15

My brother's fiance was telling me that she has used a bundt pan to make a pumpkin before. The only thing is, I didn't really want it to be that big, because it's going to be sitting on top of a two-layer round cake. Or at least that's the plan for now.

I'm entering my very first cake decorating contest. (It's nothing big, just a small town thing) It's on the 24th, so I have time to practice and perfect it. (My nephews and nieces are going to love that I'm practicing because they get the cakes!) icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:40am
post #5 of 15

I kind of like the tall elongated pumpkin. It's not the average round shape. But I always like different.

agentdorkfish Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:49am
post #6 of 15

I'm trying to attach a quick sketch I did tonight. I've never done attachments on here before, so.. here's hoping this works.

sugarMomma Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:53am
post #7 of 15

What about using a Wilton sports ball pan? It would be smaller than a bundt pan and be perfectly round for carving. Use a Michael's coupon and get a great price, and you can use it for a myriad of ideas.

cakefanatic Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:54am
post #8 of 15

how about using the small soccer ball cake pan that's very round.

agentdorkfish Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 3:04am
post #9 of 15

I use to have a sports ball pan, but I have no idea what happened to it. I would love to get another one, but the closest Michael's would mean a nearly 2 hour drive for me. Sad, no?

mabryant0212 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 3:09am
post #10 of 15

I have made a BUMCH of pumpkins both with sports ball pan and with pound cake pans... pound cake works best and the advantage is it even gives you the groves... SOOOO MUCH easier!!! also a lil tip when you do the face recess it into the icing and use black and Yellow it gives it such a realistic look! You will do great!!!

cakesrock Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 3:12am
post #11 of 15

My bundt pan experiment didn't work well. I am using a soccer ball pan because I want the pumpkin big.

However, when I was thinking of a smaller pumpkin, I considered using a small stainless steel bowl. Anyone used this before? Maybe it would work?

agentdorkfish Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 3:28am
post #12 of 15
Originally Posted by mabryant0212

also a lil tip when you do the face recess it into the icing and use black and Yellow it gives it such a realistic look! You will do great!!!

Genius! I never thought about that! That would look awesome. Thank you!

mabryant0212 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 6:01am
post #13 of 15

I bought a set of stainless steel just to use on baking... I felt it was crazy to spend $30 on the barbie mold... so I bought a bowl that had a graduated(it started at 2in and ended at about 6in) bottom and used a regular 6in round. first try was a mess had to dig cake out of the bowl... but I tried again and really heavy dusted the bowl with flour and shortning and it worked. It is one of my favorite tricks now. Another tip if you do this buy some metal skewers and bend two over the lenth of the bowl (on the top as a brace to how the third in place)and place a third straight thru the middle... this helps the cake bake evenly thru-out. icon_biggrin.gif

Barb1959 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:31pm
post #14 of 15

Agentdorkfish - if you go to galleries and then search for pumpkin cake you will find hundreds of cakes. SOmeone just posted recently (sorry I can't remember who) that they make it with the bundt pan method and it look fabulous. I was searching for it but could not find it. If I do I will repost.

FACSlady Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 3:38pm
post #15 of 15

Is there a tutorial for a pumpkin cake using bundt pans? Does anyone know if there's a pumpkin flavored cake recipe that would work well for it? Also, what kind of frosting would you use if you're not using fondant? Is there a cream cheese version that would work with the Viva method?

Quote by @%username% on %date%