Flavoring Mmf

Decorating By ape74 Updated 3 Oct 2009 , 4:54am by ape74

ape74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape74 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 1:00am
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone. Well, I'm finally in a place where I feel pretty confident working with MMF but now I would like to hear any suggestions when it comes to flavor. What flavors do you all recommend for mmf? I know you can pretty much add anything, but is there something in specific that makes mmf taste fantastic and that you would highly recommend?

7 replies
MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 1:07am
post #2 of 8

I made my 1st two batches of MMF last month. I used just pure vanilla extract. I think it worked out well at the event, because most everyone did eat it with the cake (as opposed to peeling it off). I, too, would like to see other flavor combos that are successful for others. icon_smile.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 1:12am
post #3 of 8

I'm pretty new to MMF but I've used vanilla, almond and lemon clear extracts and all have been hits. I will probably use vanilla the most since it tends to go with just about any cake and filling.

Have fun!

CakeVision Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeVision Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:05am
post #4 of 8

I've used vanilla, lemon and orange. All have been well received.

agentdorkfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agentdorkfish Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:07am
post #5 of 8

Like the others have said, vanilla almond and lemon goes well with most cakes. If you don't mind adding some color, lemon Kool-Aid is fantastic if you're making a citrus cake. I use Kool-Aid all the time with the MMF I make for cookies and they are awesome. Since the Kool Aid doesn't have any sugar in it, it counter-acts the super sweetness of the fondant. Kool-Aid would be fun to use for a kid's birthday cake!

ape74 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:29am
post #6 of 8

Thanks to everyone for the tips. Now I have two questions. Do I add the typical one tsp of the flavoring? How about the kool-aid?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:35am
post #7 of 8

I like to use Lorann butter rum flavoring. That seems to be my most popular. Orange is good too...I buy orange oil at the gourmet grocery store because it's a lot cheaper than Loranns orange. They make lemon too, I just haven't tried it. I've also used raspberry and strawberry Lorann oil but it turns it pink. Coconut is a yummy flavor too...I use Adams coconut extract for that.

The amount of flavoring you add will depend on the flavor and what kind it is...oil, extract, etc...oils take a lot less than extracts, and flavors like peppermint take less even of extracts than vanilla does. I usually add an entire tiny bottle of Lorann butter rum, or a tablespoon of clear vanilla.

ape74 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:54am
post #8 of 8

Thanks Texas_Rose! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%