Covering A Cake In White Chocolate

Decorating By kickasscakes Updated 3 Oct 2009 , 2:22am by kickasscakes

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 10:10pm
post #1 of 7

I have a request from a customer that likes the look of fondant, but would like a cake covered in white chocolate... I don't think anywhere in Vancouver, BC sells white chocolate flavoured fondant. Any suggestions?

6 replies
Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 7

This is a recipe I found online:

16oz. white chocolate**
5oz. glucose
2oz. simple syrup (1:1 ratio)
1 # (pound), 8oz. rolled fondant (ready made)

1) Melt white chocolate, over hot water to 100 degrees F. Then allow to cool to room temperature.
2) Separately whisk together the glucose and simple syrup and heat to 90 degrees F. Pour this mixture over the white chocolate and stir together until uniform.
3) Pour mixture into a bowl, cover the surface with plastic wrap, and allow to rest for 24 hours at room temp.
4) The next day, knead the modeling chocolate until pliable.
5) When ready to cover the cakes, mix together the white modeling chocolate and rolled fondant. The mixture is now ready to enrobe the cakes.

**NOTE: I like to make my white chocolate Fondant from Bakers White Chocolate Chunks. They are available at Wal Mart or any decent grocer in 12-oz. bags. Bakers has cocoa butter while Nestle uses palm kernel oil, etc, giving it a nice texture. It won't be snow white, but more eggshell to off white.

Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 7

this is a variation on michele fosters fondant:

Chocolate Rolled Fondant
This is the recipe use, it tastes great. It also freezes well. The amount of chocolate is easily changed to taste. It makes about 3 1/2 - 4 pounds of fondant.

1/2 c. heavy cream
3 pkg. unflavored gelatin
dash salt

1 c. white corn syrup
3 Tbsp. real butter
3 Tbsp. glycerin
2 tsp. vanilla

1/2 c. to 1 c. cocoa
3 1/2 to 4 lb. powdered sugar

Mix cream and gelatin, allow to firm up (3-5 min.). Set on double boiler with simmering water. Add salt and allow gelatin to melt. Add corn syrup, butter, glycerin and vanilla. Cook over simmering water until butter is almost melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool to luke warm. In large mixer bowl place desired amount of cocoa and 2 lbs. of powdered sugar. Pour liquid through strainer into sugar and cocoa. Stir by hand until partially mixed. Attach to mixer using dough hook mix on low until sugar is combined. Add small amounts of powdered sugar (1 cup?) mixing until fondant wraps around hook. Place fondant on surface that is heavily dusted with powdered sugar. Knead until smooth. Have ready some plastic wrap painted with cooking oil. Wrap fondant in oiled
wrap, wrap again, then place in ziploc bag or other air tight container. Allow to rest overnight.

If you want to make White Chocolate Fondant, chop up white chocolate and add with corn syrup. Always strain liquid.

This fondant can be made any flavor, just leave out chocolate, add your flavor with the corn syrup and adjust pioneered sugar to get the proper consistency.

Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 7

Hope these help, I have never personally made the variation on M. F. fondant but I plan to. I have heard it is very tasty!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 11:22pm
post #5 of 7

the MFF with the white chocolate is very good and easy to make.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 1:09am
post #6 of 7

What about white modeling chocolate? I have made MFF with white chocolate and it's good but it is still very much fondant. Your client asked for chocolate. You could also try enrobing the cake in white chocolate with melted paramount crystals in it, which makes it softer to cut and bite into and easier to coat with to boot.

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:22am
post #7 of 7

That's great, guys! I haven't decided which way I will go yet, but it at least gives me some ideas! Again, I appreciate your help and THIS WEBSITE!

thanks!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%