Need Your Space Recommendations

Business By nonnyscakes Updated 7 Oct 2009 , 12:34pm by nonnyscakes

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 9

I am investigating the possiblity of opening a small bakery inside a local business with a deli. The store owner has offered me some space, but it is very small. They already have a small kitchen/food prep and cooking area for their deli that I can use for my baking, so my space would be used only for decorating and displays. How much space do you think is needed? What "tools" would you say are necessities? There won't be much room for extras.

Any and all responses are welcome!!! Thanks to you all in advance.

8 replies
nonnyscakes Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 9

Shameless bump.... I need your feedback, ideas, input, etc.... Please help me.

deanna_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanna_cake Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 9

I can't tell ya what you would need to bring to your business, I would only bring the basics. Anything else I would get one of those rolling suitcases to transport anything non-edible (& according to your states laws) back and forth. You know like extra tips, bags, etc. What will you offer at the bakery? I think that will make a big difference as to what should be there and what should be transported...hth

nonnyscakes Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 9

He wants to do muffins, pastries, specialty breads (banana, lemon poppy), brownies, fresh cookies, cupcakes, cakes (german chocolate, red velvet, carrot) as well as decorated/specialty cakes. He only wants a few items on hand/display at a time and wants to book my cakes as special orders. He has asked for no percentage/commission/compensation, because he says he thinks it will be a drawing card for his current business. I am to provide all supplies, ingredients and elbow grease. We will split the set-up/construction costs.

As I said before, I will have food prep/kitchen space in the current deli area. The space he has allowed for decorating/display is about 8 x 12 (96 sq ft). I am not sure that is doable ** saying it out loud at 96 sq ft really makes it sound not doable **

What do you all think?

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 9

Do you have any other options? If not this is a blessing. What do you have to loose?

nonnyscakes Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 7:47pm
post #6 of 9

Nope..... No other options... but do you think I can pull it off in 96 feet?

4them Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4them Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 10:25pm
post #7 of 9

I think it can be done in the 96 I have a large bakery compared to most and I have noticed that most of my work area is within my reach, to save time and space, and maybe because I'm a little lazy icon_cry.gif .

If the ovens, sinks, freezers, and storage is already taken care of you just pretty much need a big table.

I spend 90% of my decorating day at my island.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 10:56pm
post #8 of 9

You keep saying "in the deli area", so my concern is cross-contamination. You really shouldn't even use tables or surfaces that have been in contact with raw or rare (bloody) meats. If working in a deli environment, I'd want a dedicated work space just for me.

My niece manages a chain cafeteria and she went ballistic one day when she found one of her guys cutting meat on the table in her bakery room. Yes, they have a separate ROOM for meats and for baked goods. She told me did everything short of putting up crime scene tape until she could get the bakery room scrubbed down and sanitized.

Then she wrote up the meat cutter guy!

nonnyscakes Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:34pm
post #9 of 9

Good for her. They use pre-cooked meats. Everything that they do is basically "warmed up". They have a pizza oven, a crockpot for BBQ and a microwave to warm hotdogs, meat patties and buns. They used to have lunch meats for sandwiches, but they have gone away from that because it didn't work well. No cross-contamination issues.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%