What Went Wrong?

Decorating By cakelovincrazy Updated 3 Oct 2009 , 7:36pm by Texas_Rose

cakelovincrazy Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 10

I made this cake

and as you see on top I put a RKT purse. It was pretty heavy, I used 9 cups of RKT to make it. The cake part was 3 layers of 10 in. choc.cake with cookies and cream filling and bc icing. I put 5 dowels in it and before I put the purse on I cut out a cake board a little smaller than the purse to go under it.

After about 30 min, the purse started tilting backwards. I finally took the purse off only to see that the cake had sunk some so that now the dowels were sticking out of the cake about 1/2 in.

I torted, filled and crumb coated the cake the night before I started decorating it so not sure why the cake sunk like that. I ended up taking the cake board off and put the purse back on, it looked ok, but for future refernce any pointers on why this happened and how to prevent it?
TIA

9 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 10

How were the dowels arranged? They should be in there like table legs, not all in a row. It sounds like maybe one side of the cake board that the purse was on wasn't supported enough and started to slide down into the cake.

cakelovincrazy Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

How were the dowels arranged? They should be in there like table legs, not all in a row. It sounds like maybe one side of the cake board that the purse was on wasn't supported enough and started to slide down into the cake.

I put 4 dowels around it and then one in the middle. Maybe I should have put more dowels where the purse was?

Texas_Rose Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 10

Do you mean the dowels were spread out through the cake? I think you just needed them under the purse, I've made the little shoes before and they're not heavy enough to need dowels underneath. A single-tier cake doesn't need any dowels to hold it together, just as supports if another tier or heavy decoration is going on top.

I forgot to say, that's an adorable cake!

cakelovincrazy Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 1:28am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Do you mean the dowels were spread out through the cake? I think you just needed them under the purse, I've made the little shoes before and they're not heavy enough to need dowels underneath. A single-tier cake doesn't need any dowels to hold it together, just as supports if another tier or heavy decoration is going on top.

I forgot to say, that's an adorable cake!

Ahhhh I thought I needed to put dowels throughout the entire cake. icon_confused.gif
Now I know, just use dowels under the heavy part.
Thank you so much. icon_biggrin.gif

madgeowens Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 1:40am
post #6 of 10

did you cover the board that was under the purse so moisture did not weaken it? that happens to me all the dang time I forget

cylstrial Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 1:46am
post #7 of 10

Your cake is adorable!!

Cakeonista Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:02am
post #8 of 10

Yes, supports are used only under something with some weight. It came out great though. I bet they loved it. We all learn from our mistakes, don't be upset about this.

cakelovincrazy Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 7:29pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

did you cover the board that was under the purse so moisture did not weaken it? that happens to me all the dang time I forget

No I didn't cover it. What should I have covered it with? Should I have covered the board under the 10 in round also?

Thanks for the compliments, my daughter did love it and of course she nor anyone else at the party noticed any of the flaws, it's just me being picky and wanting to learn from my mistakes.

Texas_Rose Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 7:36pm
post #10 of 10

I don't think 30 minutes would be enough time for a board to absorb enough moisture or grease to start tipping icon_biggrin.gif

Lots of people don't cover their cake boards. I cover mine, just because I use foamcore and it's not wrapped up or anything, so who knows what it's come into contact with before I brought it home. But if you're buying a pack of cake boards, there wouldn't be any need to cover the board. If you do decide to cover your boards, press and seal wrap works the best.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%