Looking For A Sc Recipe Close To "grandma's" W/ Pi

Baking By amberkw Updated 5 Nov 2009 , 4:42pm by amberkw

amberkw Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 9

You know the big pre-packaged Grandma's sugar cookies w/ the pink icing & sprinkles? I am looking for one like that or similar to Wal-mart's soft sugar cookies they sell in the bakery. We LOVE them and I would love to find that icing as well. I just downed 4 of the minis. Shame on me! Anyone else here getting thick around the midsection? LOL Must be all the taste testing for these new recipes!

8 replies
nonnyscakes Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 9

I love those cookies, but do you notice an aftertaste or feeling that you have a coating on the inside of your mouth after eating them?

amberkw Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 9

Preservatives maybe? Or shortening in the frostiong? I have a sour cream sugar cookie recipe I haven't made in a while. Maybe its close enough.

nonnyscakes Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 9

amberkw, would you share your recipe?

amberkw Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 9

sure. let me find it.....

KHalstead Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 9:29pm
post #6 of 9

look up recipes for lofthouse cookies

pupandbon Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 9:44pm
post #7 of 9

haven't tried this myself but the site i found it on said it was a 90% match to the store bought ones
"Lofthouse Cookie Recipe"

Serves/Makes: 6 dozen |
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cup sour cream
5 1/2 cups flour (until desired consistency for rolling)

Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and sour cream. Mix in dry ingredients. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Preheat oven to 425:F.

Roll out dough to a 1/4 to 3/8 inch thickness using a generous amount of flour. Cut out shapes and bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for 8 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Frost and decorate as desired.

pupandbon Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 9:45pm
post #8 of 9

and here is the frosting recipe from another site

Lofthouse Frosting

4 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 cup shortening
5 tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
food coloring (optional)

In a large bowl, cream together the confectioners' sugar and shortening until smooth. Gradually mix in the milk and vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth and stiff, about 5 minutes. Color with food coloring if desired

amberkw Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:42pm
post #9 of 9

Excited to try the lofthouse recipes - Thanks!
Here is my Sour cream sugar cookie recipe. Its not on file yet. For some reason, the site won't upload it. I will try it again later.

SOur Cream Sugar Cookies

1 c shortening
2 c sugar
2 eggs
1 c sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
4 1/2 c flour

Chill dough for 2 hours. Roll & cut. Don't try detailed cutters. You lose the details on these, they are so fluffy.
Bake @ 350 degrees for approx. 10 minutes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%