Wilton Fondant Disaster, Or Is It Me?

Decorating By LC_Cakes Updated 5 Oct 2009 , 12:57am by roweeena

LC_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LC_Cakes Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 11

I've been trying to practice decorating cake dummies using Wilton's ready to use fondant, but have yet to successfully cover a cake without it tearing. I know that cake dummies sometimes have sharp edges, but it even tears on dummies with contoured tops. Even small fondant swags tear. Basically anytime I bend or shape this fondant, it tears! I've tried kneading it, warming it in the microwave, adding a bit of Crisco, everything! Is there something that i'm doing wrong? Or do I just need to buy another brand? (I know Wilton's fondant isn't all that great, I was just hoping to practice with it, but I cant even seem to do that).

10 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 11

Wilton's is supposed to be great for practicing with, just not great in the taste department. Try rolling it a bit thicker than you've been doing, and don't use a ton of powdered sugar when you're rolling it out...use cornstarch or crisco.

LC_Cakes Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 11

I've tried rolling it thicker and thinner, even tried adding crisco to small amounts of it at a time. The consistency improved but still tore as soon as I tried molding it icon_sad.gif

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 11

I've never had that problem with Wilton fondant. It really sounds like it's too thin. Or too much PS is getting used. Do you have another package of it to try - maybe what your using is a bad batch?

LC_Cakes Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 6:24pm
post #5 of 11

I tried using less PS, it kneaded a lot better, but still tore once I got it on the cake. I'm thinking it may be a bad batch, it's been tearing since the very first time I tried using it! I'm trying to figure out the best brand to buy, is Satin Ice highly recommended?

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 11

Personally, I love Satin Ice. It's easy to work with and tastes good. It's just not easy to find, mostly have to order it. Here in NJ we don't have many speciality cake decorating stores and regular craft shops don't carry anything but Wilton.

LC_Cakes Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 11

I don't mind ordering it online if I have to, I just want something that'll go smoothly over my cakes. Thanks!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 7:41pm
post #8 of 11

I sand my dummies with a fine grid sand paper and coat with Crisco before I cover them with fondant.

I also make MMF to cover dummies it's much cheaper and it's easy to work with.

essence706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
essence706 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 8:43pm
post #9 of 11

It could be a bad batch. I use Wilton only to practice with cause the taste is horrible! But I'm planning to try Satin Ice soon.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 12:43am
post #10 of 11

IMO, Satin Ice is a lot softer than wilton. If you are having trouble with the wilton fondant tearing, you will more than likey have the same trouble with the SI. What exactly are you doing (step by step) and do you have pics of the problems you are having? That would help us help you figure out what the deal is. (I use wilton all the time to cover dummies and have no trouble whatso ever with it.)

roweeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roweeena Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 12:57am
post #11 of 11

It sounds like by adding more crisco to it and microwaving it you are making it softer. If its tearing it means its very soft and flexible, if it was wrinkling then you would need to add crisco to it.

I would give that piece a break and start with a new bit and only use cornflour. Make sure its corn corflour not wheaten cornflour, wheaten cornflour isnt fine enough.

If you have some tylose or CMC knead a bit of that into it as well.

Wiltons is a Sugar Honey Ice Tea to work with... icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%