When Did You Start Decorating? (Your Story)!

Decorating By kitcae Updated 5 Oct 2009 , 9:58am by Jen80

kitcae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitcae Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 32

I was wondering... how long have you been decorating cakes?

I've been decorating off and on since I was 5. In 2007 I really started decorating! I just love it!

31 replies
cakinallday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakinallday Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 32

I quit my job to care for my father while he was in Hospice. My oldest daughter's bday came along I had no money so I baked her a cake. From that point on I've baked and I LOVE IT!!

Thanks daddy!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 32

I started decorating on March 2009. I somehow stumbled upon someone's youtube video and from that point, I spent almost all my money from my tax refund to get all my cake decorating supplies.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 32

In july 2008. It was my aunties birthday and she was a bit down in the dumps and thought a cake would cheer her up, couldnt afford to buy one so i made one, a year later im doing a cake a week and i love it!

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 32

Rylan, You've only been decorating since March of this year OMG icon_eek.gif quiet some talent you got there. WOW icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif very impressive.

hensor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hensor Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 32

When my son was 6 I made him a dinosaur cake that my husband thought looked like the Loch Ness Monster (and it really kinda did). So once I finished school I decided to take the Wilton Classes. That was 2005 and of course I was 8 months pregnant at the time with my third child.

I love making cakes for my kids and friends icon_smile.gif

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 5:39pm
post #7 of 32

Ditto that! Seriously, I want to be like Rylan when I grow up. That's some serious talent.

I've been baking since I was a kid. I found this site sometime last year and I was hooked. This is my hobby / passion / addiction / illness. My BF swears that it's an illness and there is a cure for me somewhere. When I get an idea for a cake it will stick in my head and give me a headache until I draw it out.

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 5:48pm
post #8 of 32

wow Rylan I thought you would have been decorating for much longer!

I have been decorating cakes since April 2009, so im still a very big newbie lol. But I love it soo much.

I started doing it because my little sister wanted a topsy turvy cake for her birthday, and i said to my mom..."well I could do that"

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 5:54pm
post #9 of 32

I started in August 2008; I was bored up north at our cottage and decided to make ice cream cone cupcakes for the kids and try my hand at roses. They're not very pretty! but I have them in my photos anyway...at the time I was a little proud of them LOL! From then until May I made several cakes trying different techniques out, and then we moved. Just this week I've made my first cake since May, and it felt GREAT!!

Trish43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trish43 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 5:57pm
post #10 of 32

I started decorating cakes in 2006 after i taken the wiltons 1 cake decorating class.

Callyssa Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 6:02pm
post #11 of 32

Not to hijack, but SJ169 your avatar is ADORABLE!!!

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 6:09pm
post #12 of 32

I started a little over a year ago and just did my daughter's 1st b-day cake, since then I have made all her b-day cakes and my son's cakes too, within the past year I have really started decorating I am self taught.

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 6:13pm
post #13 of 32

I started in February 2009. In planning my daughter's 3rd birthday party, I realized that I looked forward to making her cake more than anything else. So, I decided to start taking classes while I was on maternity leave in March. I still only do a cake or two each month, just as a hobby.

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 6:20pm
post #14 of 32

I started baking and decorating in June 2007, when someone asked me to do some wedding cakes. I tried to refuse, but they were adamant that I do it for them as they were from out of town and I was close to the venue. Well, since then, it has spiraled. I have not advertised, nor have I had any decorating classes of any sort, all my cakes are "word of mouth" and everything I have learnt, I have learnt from the family here on "CC"

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 6:25pm
post #15 of 32

Wow, I feel really self conscious now. icon_redface.gif You're all better than me, and I have been doing longer than anyone else posted here!

My mom did cakes when I was growing up. Her first "major" cake was her sister's wedding cake when I was 5, and it snowballed from there. I always watched her, and learned alot, but I was never allowed to touch any of them, and our kitchen was too small for me to work on my own.

When I was grown and had kids of my own, my mom suggested that I take the Wilton classes, and I was hooked! But all of my baking has been as a hobby. I don't really have the desire to own a business, just make cakes for friends and family. icon_biggrin.gif

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 6:27pm
post #16 of 32

I started in July 2008 after I decided to enter a cake for the 4th of July contest at my husbands work. I won the contest (although now I would be embarrased to post pictures of it!), and decided that I'd like to give decorating a try as a hobby - been doing it since and love it! I still work full time as an accountant though to pay the bills.

farmom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmom3 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 6:29pm
post #17 of 32

Hi everybody
I started cake decorating on feb 2008, for my dd birthday, I made princess castle cake ( used wilton pan) and everybody loved it at the party,and after that I started make cakes for everybody I knowicon_smile.gif and I LOVE IT

DLo912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DLo912 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 6:34pm
post #18 of 32

I started in March of this year. My parents' 25th anniversary was coming up and we were throwing them a surprise party and I knew that I wanted their cake to be awesome. I kept watching all the cake shows and would see different things in magazines and like so many others, I thought to myself, "I'm pretty sure I could do that!" So, I tried it out all on my own (even made the fondant and buttercream) and the result was the first pic in my pictures. I'm still not great, but I learn something new and get a smidge better with each one : ) I just love it and can't get enough!!

Oh and their anniversary cake is the 3-tiered square purple and silver cake in my pics, too : )

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 6:54pm
post #19 of 32

I started baking when I was a teenager but had no real decorating tool skills until I took the Wilton I course with a friend in summer 1988. My motivation was to be able to create cute cakes for my son, whose 1st birthday was in December 1988.

As time passed, and after seeing my son's birthday cakes, the parents of his friends started asking for cakes for their special occasion. Also began making cakes for almost every conceivable occasion/event at school.

21 years and 2500 cakes later, I am still caking, and still loving it. Still a buttercream girl, too...have never used fondant...yet icon_smile.gif

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 7:03pm
post #20 of 32

Last year when we wanted to order our wedding cakes I just couldn't get the design I wanted. And I didn't have the time to make the cakes my self - so I ordered undecorated fondant covered cakes from our supermarket ( tastes great) and bought a few moulds off ebay and premade the decorations. On the big day I was laying flat on the floor with lumbago so my best friend picked up the cakes and put on the decorations for me! ( I did manage to actually go to church and get married but I don't remember a thing because of the pain....)
Then I made my first fondant cake in July this year for my father in law and my first cuppies in august. And since then I have been looking for every chance to make a cake or some pretty cupcakes. Tomorrow I'm doing my first tiered cake - wish me luck!

Callyssa Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 9:09pm
post #21 of 32

[quote="millermom"]Wow, I feel really self conscious now. icon_redface.gif You're all better than me, and I have been doing longer than anyone else posted here!

DISAGREE!! Have you really LOOKED at your cakes?! They're awesome! You're too hard on yourself!

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 9:34pm
post #22 of 32

It's funny that I found this thread today - I delivered my first ordered cake today (free for a friend hosting a divorce party!).

I am very much a cake decorating newbie. I have always loved to bake, and I have made my husband's cake every year starting the first year we were dating. He would just tell me what he wanted and I would find a receipe and make it. They always tasted great, but not much on the decor - chopped nuts, coconut, etc on the top. I wanted to make our daughter's 1st birthday cake this year, so I started taking the Wilton classes a couple of month's ago. I just finished the 3rd course.

I think dd cake turned out great (catapiller in my photos), and our family was very impressed. I brought all my 'homework' from class to work so that we wouldn't be eating cake every night, and now several people have asked for cakes. I've got a LONG way to go, but I'm hooked! icon_biggrin.gif

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 11:11pm
post #23 of 32

Have always wanted to take cake decorating classes. When my son got married a couple years ago I volunteered to make the cake.(It's the green and orange one in my pics.) So I took wilton 1 and 3 so I would be able to make it. Found this site looking for recipes and info for the cake. That was it, I was hooked. And I think my family is sick of hearing about cake.

whit6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whit6 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 11:34pm
post #24 of 32

I started decoarting In March of 2008 when I decided to do a Little Mermaid cake for my neices 3rd Birthday. It came out ok, nothing spectacular but everyone loved it and I liked doing it. After that, every birthday that has come up in my family since I have doen the cakes. I started getting business from the people who attended the birthday parties like family friends and what not. They have passed my name around and now I am branching out into my own business.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 11:36pm
post #25 of 32

i honestly can't remember what made me decide to start caking. i randomly had a debbie brown book that my mom bought at a garage sale iiin.... 2006 and my friend saw a cake she liked in it and that pretty much started it.

i didn't spend a lot of time working and perfecting my caking because i didn't know if it's what i really wanted to focus on. then i looked at my life and realized i didn't really have any other discernable talents and i refused to work at a job i hated for the rest of my life, so i decided this was it for me!

i've only really started working with new techniques and devoting myself to this and what not in the past year or so. it's a long journey!!!

ShelleyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyMJ Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 11:52pm
post #26 of 32

I started decorating about 2 months ago.

We had a new minister start at our church. We had a dinner for him and I baked a cake.

Emma37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emma37 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 11:54pm
post #27 of 32

I started learning in March 2008. My adopted mom 'Memere' decorates cakes in a grocery store. She gave me a bunch of extra supplies she had and taught me the basics while she was here in SC visiting for a week. Since then I have practiced and have had 7 official orders icon_smile.gif I really like it and have poured through books and this website as I have continued to self teach.

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 4:28pm
post #28 of 32

I started in July 2009 when I decided on a whim that I wanted to make my son's 3rd birthday cake. (It's the first cake in my photos). I remember spending countless hours on CC and youtube absorbing as much information as I could so that I didn't have a cake disaster. The cake turned out pretty good for a first try, and then I was definitely hooked.

In fact, I remember after making the cake I told my husband that I was really sad that I didn't have a cake to make anymore. I felt it was something so positive in my life to keep busy with a hobby that I truly enjoyed, and my husband encouraged me to just keep going with it if I really enjoyed it that much.

I'm still learning a lot, and I've officially been bitten by the caking bug because I now have big dreams of owning my very own cake shop one day. I know I'm still a ways away from making that happen, but with every cake that I make I feel I'm one step closer to hopefully getting there.

I can honestly say that cake making and decorating has changed my life....for the better!

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 9:23pm
post #29 of 32

This past June, for my son's 5th birthday. He was completely enthralled with Transformers, but Wilton hadn't made Transformers pans yet, so I had to come up with some other idea. Think, think, think. Hmmm... AHA! detective.gif Fondant!

So I gave it a try. The Transformers cake in my photos was actually my second fondant cake. (The first was the bow cake on the fondant box, but I never posted that one here.) I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. I made it up as I went along. The only real plan was the mask on top.

I had never heard of C ake Boss or Ace of Cakes until after I made the Transformers cake. By then I had decided I LOVED making cakes, but I felt like I had just jumped on a cake-making bandwagon.

But I love making cakes anyway, and would love to start making wedding cakes. The ironic part is, that's the part of my own wedding that I basically completely ignored. I wanted a fondant cake, but nobody around here made them back then. So I told the caterer to just make something that tasted good. I didn't even see it until it was time to cut it!

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 9:54pm
post #30 of 32

I've always enjoyed baking but never paid much attention to decorating or presentation, just taste.
Then when I had kids I started making their birthday cakes, a nemo in the wilton fish pan for my DD's 2nd birthday and it went on from their. My sister and I shared a copy of the Australian Women's Weekly kids' party cakes book but anything in there that involved fondant always seemed too hard to me.
In June this year I was looking at a friend's photos on Facebook of her husband's birthday party and they'd ordered a 2 tier chocolate fondant covered cake with a bow and spots. I looked at it and thought "I could never do that! ....... Or could I?" And I immediately looked online for a beginner's book on cake decorating. The first one I came up with was the Planet Cake book. HOOKED!!!! Then I searched out a course (no Wilton courses here) and all I could find was one on flowers, so I did that (terrible teacher but it did fuel the fire). The rest I've learned on here and Youtube.
I am thoroughly addicted and spend more time on here than is healthy! icon_biggrin.gif

Like a PP said, everyone around me is sick of hearing about cakes. But I LOVE it. And hopefully one day it can be my job as well as my passion.
Emma

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%