Fondant/gumpaste Toppers On (Non-Crusting) Buttercream

Decorating By cakesweetiecake Updated 6 Oct 2009 , 11:09pm by cakesweetiecake

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 5

Just curious, what is the method when placing fondant/gumpaste accents and/or toppers on top of buttercream cakes? I've made a few cakes where the weight of the topper/accent caused it to kind of dig or sink into the buttecream cake. I ususally refrigerate my cakes. However, once the buttercream comes to room temperature, topper/accent often sinks into the buttercream.

I know it these accents probably work best on fondant cakes, but I am looking for other suggestions when using buttercream.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks in advance.

4 replies
cakesweetiecake Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 5

Anyone?

delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 5

I glue the topper onto a lollipop stick with chocolate, let set, then stick it into the cake. I have done this with a non-crusting buttercream and didn't have any problems. HTH

Jaeger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaeger Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 5

I do something similar. I make a topper on a smaller cake board (e.g. a 4- or 6-inch board for an 8-inch cake) and insert dowels into the cake so that the topper sits just above the buttercream. I usually use dabs of royal icing on the dowels to hold the topper in place and then the topper can be removed without damaging the buttercream icing.

cakesweetiecake Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you for your responses! This helps alot!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%