How Do You Make Ribbon Cake Boards?

Decorating By kitcae Updated 7 Oct 2009 , 1:51am by TeriO

kitcae Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 11

I would like to know how to make cake boards with ribbon around it. Thank you!

10 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 11

This is how I make mine: cut a piece of foamcore the size I need, roll MMF directly onto it until the board is covered and smooth, then put the board on top of my turntable, and apply Tacky glue to the edge, while turning the turntable so it's easy to get the glue all the way around. Then add a ribbon, pressing it into the glue to be sure it's secure. Let the ends overlap a bit and glue the end down, then let the whole thing dry for a day or two.

kitcae Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 11

Is there a way to do it without MMF?

cs_confections Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 11

You can cover the board with almost anything.

<----This one is a black vinyl Halloween tablecloth from Walmart (cake is on it's own board. The ribbon is actually two ribbons. I chose a pink ribbon close in size to my foam core board and glued a black ribbon on top of it. I just used a small amount of hot glue to attach the ribbons.

KHalstead Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 11

you don't have to cover the board with mmf, you could cover in paper, and then some press n' seal wrap or clear contact paper. I usually hot glue the ribbon to the edge, but if the ribbon will show spots (some darker red and pinks will show where the glue was, it'll show up as a dark spot on the outside of the ribbon)......for those I just use a good ol' tacky glue that goes on white and dries clear. it takes longer to dry than the hot glue, so that's why that's my first choice.

kitcae Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 4:24pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you!

Jeff_Arnett Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 5:02pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitcae

I would like to know how to make cake boards with ribbon around it. Thank you!

I've been posting information for about two weeks now here on the board about a new line of pre-cut foamcore cake boards which will be available in a couple weeks.....they will be available in the next couple weeks in 1/2 inch and 3/16 inch thicknesses, covered with a water and grease-proof styrene surface on both sides. All you will have to do is glue a ribbon around the edges....I use an elmers glue stick for this.

I will be posting information when these become available for purchase.

In the mean time, you can cut your own foamcore of wooden boards, cover them with a grease-proof coating such as contact paper, then glue the ribbon around the edge.

kitcae Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 4:19pm
post #8 of 11

Thank you Jeff_Arnett! I just wanted to say~I'm a hobby decorator and only make around 12-14 cakes a year. Also, what is foamcore and where can you get it?

Jeff_Arnett Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 5:09pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitcae

Thank you Jeff_Arnett! I just wanted to say~I'm a hobby decorator and only make around 12-14 cakes a year. Also, what is foamcore and where can you get it?

Foam core is a sturdy board made from a high density styrene core with a paper covering on both sides. While it comes in many sizes, most craft stores carry the 20 x 30 inch sheets in 3/16th and 1/2 inch thicknesses.

Most people use 3/16 between tiers and 1/2 inch for bases. The material is very light weight but strong and doesn't flex, making it a good material to make boards from. Craft store boards are not sealed, so you need to cover them just as you woudl cardboard. The boards I mentioned that will be available soon come with a FDA approved styrene covering on both sides that is grease and water proof so no additional covering is needed....you can glue a ribbon around the edge for a nice finished look. These boards should be on the market in a couple weeks.

chleonard Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 1:23am
post #10 of 11

thanks for the info on covering a board. i have a plywood board for a 5 tier cake coming up that i need to cover.
so can i wrap the board in paper, and then cover with clear contact paper? then glue the ribbon around? will the glue stick to the contact paper?
also, the press n seal is a good idea. this may be a stupid question, but is it clear? i have never used it, but i thought it was kind of opaque.
has anyone ever used clear cellophane wrap (the kind to wrap cookie trays and gift baskets). will the glue stick to that?

TeriO Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 1:51am
post #11 of 11

I have always covered my boards with freezer paper. It has a waxy side that is water and grease proof.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%