Cake Separators. . Do You Get Them Back??

Decorating By forheavenscake Updated 3 Oct 2009 , 2:51am by indydebi

forheavenscake Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 9

I will be stacking my first cake in a few weeks and so #1 I'm trying to figure out HOW to stack the cake. I've seen some just use dowels and cardboard rounds and other use the plastic separators. . .which should I do?

#2. . if you use the plastic separators, do you get them back? Or do they just stay with the customer and that is added into the cost of the cake?

8 replies
tiggy2 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 9

Use the SPS system and include the price into the cake. Instructions are on a sticky at the top of the "How Do I" forum. You can purchase them at global sugar art and oasis.

Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 9

For the cake structure I charge a $25.00 deposit. If it is not returned I have my price covered. If the customer wants to keep (for whatever reason) I just add the $25.00 in the price.

PinkZiab Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 9

I roll everything into the price of the cake and call it a day.

11cupcakes Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:27am
post #5 of 9

I would include it in the price of cake too.I used cardboard before and it worked good.

Deb_ Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:31am
post #6 of 9

I build the cost of the support/plates into the cake.

I used to do the deposit thing but found it was just added paperwork and too much trouble tracking everything down.

For an average 3 or 4 tier cake it's under $20 for the support/plate system.

catlharper Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:35am
post #7 of 9

I tell my bride that if she brings me back the support pieces then she will get $25 refunded. There are times I rent out cake stands as well and those have a higher deposit with no option not to return it. But,yes, always cover your cost of your supports.

debster Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:50am
post #8 of 9

I use a double cardboard so I can hammer a dowel down the center. For you that use the SPS if you don't run a dowel down the center how do you keep the cake from shifting or moving? How many tiers can you transport at one time with that system?

indydebi Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:51am
post #9 of 9

Build it in and forget about it. To me, it's not worth the gas for $10 or $15 worth of plastic.

I don't use plastic separators in stacked cakes anymore. dowels and cardboard work ok for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%