Cake For A Friend Who Had Gastic Bypass....

Decorating By CelebrationCakery Updated 5 Oct 2009 , 10:27am by CelebrationCakery

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 11

I have a very close friend who had gastric bypass a few months ago, her recovery has been great and she has been doing SOOO well with her weight loss...but I don't want to let her birthday pass by without a beautiful cake...what do you all think? Do I skip it? Do an angelfood cake with whipped cream and fresh fruit??? I am at a loss...I don't want o give cake if it is completely inappropriate....

10 replies
janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:33pm
post #2 of 11

A friend of mine had gastric bypass and they can't have a lot of sugar, so if you do make her something - use spenda.

Also, maybe just make cupcakes - so that way you won't be potentially leaving her with a leftover cake.

I also like the angelfood/whip/fruit idea!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 11

The angel food cake would be better. People who have had gastric bypass have trouble with sugars and fats - at least that will eliminate the fats! And, if you can find a decent recipe for angel food using splenda - that would be even better.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 11

Honestly, it affects everyone differently. I wouldn't surprise in this situation. I would ask her what would be OK. It is always the thought that counts. Your friend will appreciate that you are thinking so much about her and what she is going through. But take your cue from what she says. It's possible that a cake might not be your best route for celebrating her day.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:45pm
post #5 of 11

My husband had that right before we were married (he lost over 250 lbs. His doctor was actually worried about him becoming anorexic and told him to STOP losing weight! Then he married a caterer and got over it! icon_lol.gif ).

It wasn't so much WHAT he ate (sugar vs splenda) but quantity. When we first met, he lived on M&M's and salad.

To be in conflict with what I just said, there were some foods he couldn't eat because it caused him pain (no bread ... so no pizza, sandwiches, no meatloaf made with breadcrumbs, etc. At first, he couldn't eat salad for the same reason, but that changed and he ended up loving it and living on it.....he still loves a Big Salad!). He "invented" the veggie sandwich, using big leafs of lettuce as his "bread".

The reason he couldn't eat the bread was because the bread would swell inside his stomach, become larger than the new space allowed and be very painful. So any food that would soak up moisture (bread, cakes, even angel food cake), MAY cause this side effect.

I would suggest asking her what she'd like. Depending on what stage of it she's at, she may have to budget her food intake. At one point, hubby told me that if he ate, for example, one cupcake, that was his food for the whole day.

CelebrationCakery Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:47pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you all so so much for your quick responces...they are all just what I needed...you know how your mind will have something figured out and then all of a sudden you think, "Maybe I need more help on this one"

I will be bringing whatever it is into her salon for she and her employees...but I know she has been so good with her eating that I may even just skip the cake part and buy some clear silo cups and put fresh fruit in each one with just a dollup of fresh whipped cream...with Splenda to sweeten it of course....I think that may be more appropriate...

CelebrationCakery Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:48pm
post #7 of 11

I posted my last post before IndyDebi's showed but thank you so so much...this has been so helpful...I almost wonder if all of the pain she was in last week that send her into the ER was her dinner...I will have to ask her about bread....I know she has been eating it....

Thank you ALL!!!

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:01pm
post #8 of 11

My hubby was in the same position as Debi's- after the surgery for almost a year he would eat 1 bagel/day. He also had a lot of issues with bread, but that has since resolved. There are certain foods he just can't digest anymore- elbow pasta and milk products (kd is a big no no), so you are best talking with you friend just in case there is something that she can't eat that would go in cake (ie milk, not so much elbow pasta)

kimb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimb Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 6:52pm
post #9 of 11

I had mine in 2006, I've lost just under 100lbs.

Went from a size 22 to a 12.

I can only within the last year or so eat sugar in any form.
And even now it's just a bite or so.

[/i]

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 2:07am
post #10 of 11

While you thoughts and intentions are wonderful, please don't do it.

I had gastric bypass 4 years ago. If your friend is under 1 year out, there is a limit on the amount of calories she can consume in a day. If you make and take her a cake and she eats any, that will reduce her caloric intake of good foods she is suppose to have. Indi is right about the pain from certian foods. Even after 4 years I still get them.

An alternative would be to take her flowers...buy her a gift cert to a spa or a massage. I know hair is a huge issue after the surgery and it is forever an issue. I know you want to celebrate her special day...just do it in a more positive way. Not saying cakes arent positive, but to someone trying to loose weight it's sabotage.

Most every way of celebrations include food. Most people are trying to loose weight. Kind of ironic.

Your a great friend to think of her icon_smile.gif

CelebrationCakery Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 10:27am
post #11 of 11

I ended up just bringing in a triffle dish with mixed fruit and layered a little whipped cream in with with grapes, strawberries, blueberries and raspberries. She took a small spoonful out while I was there and left the rest for the girls that work in her salon....she was thrilled....and so were they! So it all worked out well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%