Cost To Make A Cake?

Decorating By Lovemesomecake Updated 2 Oct 2009 , 5:52pm by indydebi

Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 10:59am
post #1 of 4

When pricing your cakes, how much do you think it costs to make a two tier (8 inch, 6 inch) cake using buttercream (Crisco)? Average cost? icon_confused.gif I'm thinking around $6-8, does that sound right??? icon_confused.gif

3 replies
dmcclend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmcclend Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 4

Lovemesomecake,

The best advice I can give you, is to tell you to take a small notepad the next time you go grocery shopping and write down all the ingredients that you need to make a cake, the price and size of the container. Then use ask.com to have it break the size down into tablespoons, cups, etc. This will give you a more accurate idea of what it costs you to make a cake. You probably are not concerned right now about the electricity, gas, water factor, but they are important. Mostly importantly don't forget your time! If you are only going to charge an extra $6 you will get burnt out doing cakes!

**Hint** Think more in the range of extra 12-18 dollars depending on the shape, round vs. square.
Take care

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 4

It depends. How tall are your tiers? Are you using a box mix or from scratch? Are you making a simple yellow cake or are you going for tiramisu. What fillings are you using? Just buttercream, custard, ganache or something else? Will you be adding fresh blue berries or any type of fruit? When I make cakes, it really depends on the kind of cake I am making. If I use a doctored box mix with just buttercream as filling and icing, I'm looking at about $7-$10 worth of ingredients.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 4

Dupl thread .... see add'l responses at http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-654025-.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%