Help!!! With Bible Cake

Decorating By ggsbabycakes Updated 2 Oct 2009 , 10:07am by scgriffiths

ggsbabycakes Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 5:25am
post #1 of 6

I'm making a closed Bible cake for my Pastor's anniversary tomorrow and would like to know how to construct the cake. Is foundant wrapped around the entire cake to create the cover? Any help would greatly be appreciated. Also, what should I use to created gold lettering on black foundant?

5 replies
chinadoll652003 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 5:52am
post #2 of 6

I'm not one to use fondant so can't help you there, but I made a closed Bible cake using BC. I used the viva towel method to smooth out the BC (worked great). Then I just piped lines to make it look like pages.

HamSquad Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 6:16am
post #3 of 6

Go to Wilton cake website and type in book cake, there should be different book cakes and to make. You can crumbcoat with BC or ganache-melted white chocolate, let it air dry or put in refrig for 15-20 minutes to let set. Roll out a rectangle sheet of fondant to cover cake. Know the length and width of your cake and the she height of the 1 side of cake, ie side 2" x width 9" x length 13" . Then take tip 21 and pipe page lines. HTH

HamSquad Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 6:20am
post #4 of 6

For gold lettering, mix gold luster dust with lemon extract to paint letters.
icon_rolleyes.gif Forgot to add with other info. Sorry!

ggsbabycakes Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 8:10am
post #5 of 6

Thanks HamSquad for your help. The cake actually needs to be covered in foundant. Do you have any suggestions on how to do a hotdog cake? I have an order for one in a couple of weeks and I have some idea of how to start it but would really appreciate some advise.

scgriffiths Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 10:07am
post #6 of 6

Here is one I did. I covered it completely in BC, then rolled out fondant and covered top and side, cutting with scissors around the edges to give a straight cut, and leaving a small amount overlapping the edges. To do the bottom cover, I just rolled out more fondant, cut one edge straight, and pushed that straight edge up against the cake, then cut off the excess. I marked the pages with a knife.

Quote by @%username% on %date%