Wilton Alphabet Cutters...how To Release The Letters?

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 2 Oct 2009 , 3:13pm by verosuperstar

MrsNancyB1 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 4:37am
post #1 of 8

I used these on the last cake that I made, and I was a bit frustrated at how to get the letters to release from the cutter. I ended up having to use one of the gumpaste tools to gently push it out. The problem was, when I pushed it out, the tool left marks on each of the letters. thumbsdown.gif

How else should I remove the letters? What can I do to get the letters out easier?

TIA!

7 replies
linstead Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 5:15am
post #2 of 8

Just guessing but usually best to use lots of cornstarch on both the sugar paste being cut/pressed into the cutter and also on the cutter/mold.

tatorchip Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 7:16am
post #3 of 8

I rub a little crisco on my letter cutters and have no problem, cornstarch, cocoa powder or any of the color dust would also work as well. I just prefer the crisco but you can try all of them and decide which works best for you HTH

sewgratefulquilts Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 9:41am
post #4 of 8

If I'm having trouble getting them out, I use the bristle part of one of my paint brushes to poke at them. That won't leave any mark on the fondant.

grandmom Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 10:15am
post #5 of 8

I learned these tricks with those alphabet cutters the hard way:

1. Lightly grease your work surface. This encourages the letter to stick to the surface, not the cutter.
2. Roll out the fondant/gumpaste very thin, somewhere between 1/16 and 1/8 inch, with 1/8 being too thick still.
3. Allow fondant to dry for about 15 minutes before cutting.
4. Press firmly with cutter and wiggle slightly.
5. Lift cutter away.
6. Remove excess fondant.
7. Allow letter to dry in place.

MrsNancyB1 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you everyone! Grandmom, those are great tips. I'll give them a try the next time I use the cutters. thumbs_up.gif

sarkee Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 8

can't wait to use those tips "grandma" i used my cutters this past weekend and what a pita.

verosuperstar Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:13pm
post #8 of 8

I also do the tips from Grandmom, the only thing I learned too, is that use just the right amount of fondant for your lettes because since you have to let it dry for 15 min. the left over fondant gets too dry to roll it again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%