50 Birthday Cakes A Week?

Business By CakeForte Updated 3 Oct 2009 , 2:01am by 11cupcakes

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:19am
post #1 of 9

Those with fully operating storefronts...is that a realistic projection? Let's say they're $50 each.

I'm just number crunching trying to map out a 5 yr plan for just birthdays.

8 replies
littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:22am
post #2 of 9

i do about 35 a week....but they are mostly not as labor intensive as a lot of the stuff you see on here.

if you had a little help you could do it pretty easily.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 4:15am
post #3 of 9

Just you ?? Our average non-wedding order is $86.00 and we did 1500 cakes last year- that is probably 80 hours a week worth of labor to produce, so 1.5 people or so, but don't forget all of the administrative stuff that goes with those orders. I have one person who works orders full time plus me working them about 10 hours per week. A lot of that admin time is wedding related, but still... It's a tough way to earn a living.

littlecake Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 4:33am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkybaker

It's a tough way to earn a living.

i'm gonna sew this on a pillow ha ha

yeah it's just me...but a good portion of the cakes are like this one, or other simple designs i can do in about 10 minutes.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1334885

cgm_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgm_cakes Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 6:12am
post #5 of 9

Littlecake - the daisy cake is so cute. What size is that and what is your base price for it, if you don't mind me asking?

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 6:25am
post #6 of 9

That cake is so cute, littlecake! I love the design - and I envy that you could bust 35 of those out per week. Good Lord.....I had a heart attack last week because it was my first week with 2 wedding cakes on the same day.

littlecake Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:21pm
post #7 of 9

if i were doing just those i could easily do many more than 35.

what gets tough is when they want something matched...then you take like 30 minutes on one cake, i've stopped doing that on small cakes....

the base price for that daisy cake is 25 bucks for a 1/4.....hardly anyone wants a 1/4 sheet...about 50% of the cakes i sell are 1/2 sheets at 40.00 base price for simple designs like this....the thing is 1/2 takes about 10 minutes too.

drawing cost 10 bucks more and up...themes where i just airbrush and add some chocolate molded items are just 5 bucks more.....i like trying to give people a good deal....they don't take too long.

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:41pm
post #8 of 9

I love your daisy cake littlecake!

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:01am
post #9 of 9

It's realistic. But I would try to get more wedding and anniversary cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%