Help Please!!!!

Decorating By Ruth0304 Updated 2 Oct 2009 , 3:51pm by all4cake

Ruth0304 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:09am
post #1 of 11

I need to make MMF and I can't find a bag of 16oz marshmallow anywhere!!! I used to get them at walmart but they are only selling 10.5 bags now and I tried to do a batch adding one and a half bags but it did not work. I hope someone can help, otherwise I don't know how I'm going to make fondant icon_cry.gif

Thanks, Ruth

10 replies
d3sc3n7 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:22am
post #2 of 11

What was the problem with your first batch? Was it still gooey?

Echooo3 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:22am
post #3 of 11

Did you try Wal-Mart?

Do you have a food scale? Just weight it out.

madgeowens Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:38am
post #4 of 11

I measure using bag and a half all the time and never had a problem.....

madgeowens Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:39am
post #5 of 11

walmart here does not have them either...you have to improvise, and I always guesstimate...its not exact. what with humidity etc can change the equasion thus needing more cs....

kellie0406 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:47am
post #6 of 11

I noticed my Walmart has also stopped selling the 16oz bag, but my Shop Rite still does. Do you have one of those around?

Ruth0304 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 11

Well I found out that there is 8 cups in a 16 oz bag and that there is 5 1/2 in a 10 oz ( according to a helpful someone who got it from the krafts website) I tried it last night and the consistency was the same as the 1st one I did tooo stiff and dry since it was the first time it had ever happend I threw out the batch but know the second one came out the same icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I'm currently trying to figure out how to fix this If anyone has any suggestions please let me know or like my fellow CC said I will have to try shop rite ( I forgot shop rite is still around since I now only go to walmart). The only problem is that I need to cover the cake today icon_cry.gif

Thanks you guys!!!

mommyle Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:56pm
post #8 of 11

Buy a scale.

It is one part marshmallows, and 2 parts PS. By weight.

So, I re-itereate, BUY A SCALE!!!!!

mgwebb68 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:32pm
post #9 of 11

Are you making your fondant in a mixer?

I make mine in a mixer.

1 16 oz bag marshmallows
1 2 lb bag 10x sugar
2 T water
1 T flavor

I coat my bowl that I'm going to melt the marshmallows in, lightly with crisco (enough that you know it's there, but don't cake it on). Put the marshmallows in the bowl, at the water and the flavor and melt in intervals in the microwave stirring between each.

I coat the bowl of my mixer with crisco, again not heavy, but enough to know its there. I put 1/2 the bag of powdered sugar in the bowl and attach the paddle blade. Pour the melted marshmallows in and mix until combined. Take the paddle blade off, put on the dough hook and add the rest of the powdered sugar. If it gets too stiff I keep the mixer running and I add water, a drop or two at a time until it loosens back up. That's it.

Take it out of the bowl and put it in plastic wrap coated with crisco (again lightly), put in a ziploc bag and let it sit until I'm ready to use it. If it's stiff (which it usually is) I just put it in the microwave for about 10 to 15 seconds and it loosens back up.

Hope this helps.

all4cake Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:54pm
post #10 of 11

may be more than you need but...if you used 3 10.5 ounce bags and double your recipe...it would be darn close to a double batch of the 16 ounce bags...

I actually use 3 lbs ps per 16 ounces...it's stiff....the next day is even stiffer...but I can work the heck out of it without it tearing and going gooey on me.

all4cake Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:51pm
post #11 of 11

may be more than you need but...if you used 3 10.5 ounce bags and double your recipe...it would be darn close to a double batch of the 16 ounce bags...

I actually use 3 lbs ps per 16 ounces...it's stiff....the next day is even stiffer...but I can work the heck out of it without it tearing and going gooey on me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%