Mini Cakes Covered With Buttercream!!!!!!!!

Decorating By nesha Updated 3 Oct 2009 , 9:36pm by sunlover00

nesha Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:52am
post #1 of 13

Hi CC, I was wondering if anyone here has ever made mini cakes but used buttercream instead of fondant. If so how was the process an how many layers of icing did you have to use, I'm having alot of trouble with getting it to look like my larger cakes do, here is a picture of what I'm talking about. I would really appreciate any help, thanks!!!!!!!!

12 replies
prterrell Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 4:24am
post #2 of 13

No pic?

kickasscakes Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 4:33am
post #3 of 13

I don't see your pic.
On the same note, I have the same trouble... so looking forward to some help too!

nesha Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 13

ok.....well it turns out the megapix is toooo high to be posted on this forum but you can check it out on page thanks!!!!!!!!!!

fearlessbaker Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 13

What page? This is frustrating.

kickasscakes Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 13

I was wondering what page too...

JGMB Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 10:52pm
post #7 of 13

Under her post, click on the "photos" box. The mini-cake is the first picture on the page.

nesha Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 3:18am
post #8 of 13

Sorry for the confusion but what JGMB said.................sorry again

sunlover00 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 3:39am
post #9 of 13

I actually have to make 50 mini 3-teir wedding cakes for next Sat and I was wondering the same thing! I will use a large tip and try to do minimal smoothing...just not sure how to get a 4" base layer. Any ideas?

LaBellaFlor Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 3:59am
post #10 of 13

I'm not sure I'm understanding what your question is, but is the cake 4" high like a regular cake?

JGMB Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 10:19am
post #11 of 13

I think she means a 4" diameter base that she'll then top with 2 smaller diameter layers.

Someone on here once said to bake a shallow sheet cake, freeze it slightly, then cut it into rounds with a cookie cutter. If you don't have a 4" cookie cutter, try to find a can of that size -- maybe a small coffee can.

LaBellaFlor Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 8:43pm
post #12 of 13

I got the 4" in diameter, I was wondering about the 4" in height. If it's not 4" in height it may not look the same as her regular cakes as far as frosting them goes. I use a dough scraper to get the sides even. Stick the little 4" to a cake turner, spin it with the scraper.

sunlover00 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 9:36pm
post #13 of 13

Yes, I meant 4" in diameter. I'll have to try the can idea. A cupcake is 3" and I have a small biscuit cutter that is 2". The problem with the cupcake is that it's flared so I might have to cut that layer also. The height of the layers is about 1 1/4" each. I'm wondering if a cookie sheet will work best.
The customer also wants them filled with strawberry filling! geez, this one is gonna kill me. Frosting them will be a real treat without having them tip over! I suppose a poured buttercream would be best but she doesn't want that. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%