Having Issues With Chocolate Wafers.

Sugar Work By jeepfreak33 Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 1:53pm by auntginn

jeepfreak33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeepfreak33 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:09am
post #1 of 3

The first time I just put them in a bag and microwaved them and had no problems..... but do you think I can repeat this feet..... heck no.

They dont seem to melt, or my bag melts....ug....I am going slow.... I even tried them on a double boiler and could not get the suckers to melt properly.

I am making a betty boop cake and wanted to make the words "betty boop" out of chocolate.. but having problems.

Now I have tried adding some shortening to see if that helps... It let me pipe the chocolate into the molds and tap them out... I am hoping they firm up nicely. Is this something you should do? Or are there other tricks to get them to melt... I am melting red wafers.

Am I doing something wrong... I was hoping to getting into making chocolate molded candies and suckers... but at this pace I probably will forget that idea. Any help and tricks would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

2 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 9:22am
post #2 of 3

Here are all the various methods recommended by Wilton for melting Candy Melts:

http://www.bakedecoratecelebrate.com/techniques/meltingcandymelts.cfm

HTH

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 3

I have found that Wilton Candy melts can get old fast and when they do they just don't melt anymore. I'm not sure if adding shorttening helps because that is to add oil back into the chocolate when it drys and for my experience wilton candy melts just don't play by the rules.

Keep us posted if it works.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%