New To Fondant

Decorating By TSmith Updated 2 Oct 2009 , 2:20pm by cakesrock

TSmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TSmith Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 13

I have seen where people decorate fondant cakes by painting them. what do you use? is it the coloring to tint buttercream??

12 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 9:30pm
post #2 of 13

Yes, gel colors thinned with vodka or a clear extract. Some people also paint with gel color mixed with crisco...I've been meaning to try that but haven't yet.

omgcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
omgcake Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Yes, gel colors thinned with vodka or a clear extract. Some people also paint with gel color mixed with crisco...I've been meaning to try that but haven't yet.

what is crisco???

katiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiecake Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 13

crisco is a solid block of veg oil with lots of transfats, really bad for you but the main ingredient in "buttercream" it very easy to work with make flowers ect

omgcake Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 13

thank you!
where can i find it? and do u know by any chance if its kosher?!

Texas_Rose Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:54pm
post #6 of 13

Crisco is kosher. It's a US product, so if you live somewhere else you might find it called "vegetarian lard". It works pretty well to paint with extracts and gel color, it's kind of a watercolor effect. Mixing the gel colors and crisco is supposed to be more like painting with oil paints.

I forgot, you can also mix white icing color with gel colors to get opaque paints. You can't thin those with extracts though, alcohol makes the white color break down.

People also paint with petal dusts but those can be kind of expensive.

TSmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TSmith Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 11:32pm
post #7 of 13

thanks. can you paint buttercream icing with this. is the gel colors the coloring you buy to tint buttercream?

Texas_Rose Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 11:49pm
post #8 of 13

The only way to paint buttercream is with an airbrush, as far as I know. If you want to put a picture on buttercream, you could do a frozen buttercream transfer, where you make a picture with different colors of buttercream and freeze it, then put it on your cake. The gel colors are the ones that you tint frosting with.

omgcake Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:11am
post #9 of 13

thank you texas rose!!
i was looking online at crisco's wedsite and i feel really stupid... its a brand! i should have known ... but what is the product that u need to use for coloring? the shortning? vegetable stick?
sorry for all the questions...... icon_redface.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:21am
post #10 of 13

The people who've posted about it were just using a bit from the tub, mixed with gel colors. After I get my kids in bed for the night, I'll mix a little and see how well it works...that way you don't run out and buy a tub and then it doesn't do anything. I've painted a lot with gel colors mixed with vodka, so I should be able to compare the two methods icon_biggrin.gif

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 4:01am
post #11 of 13

I mix a little corn syrup with my gel color and vodka (for painting fondant) and it gives the 'paint' a nice consistency. Happy painting!

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 4:22am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

i've never heard of doing this. wouldn't it stay tacky or... greasy?

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:20pm
post #13 of 13

No, it dries very nicely. It was a tip from a Red Seal chef.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%