Fondant Question.... Help, Please

Decorating By Rhonda19 Updated 23 Oct 2009 , 9:01pm by lyssa26

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 8

Hi !
I am making a cake for a friend, and its a Dora the Explorer cake. I made a fondant girl that somewhat resembles Dora. After her head dried, the head now has some cracks in it!!

Is there " anything " I can do to fix it... short of making another girl. I hope its something I can do... it took me forever to get this fondant girl to resemble Dora!!!

Any help will be appreciated!!
Rhonda

7 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 8

can you show us dora.. i don,t know of anything to fix a cracked fondant anything. after it is it dry... i make a lot of things out of fondant or fondant/g/p mixed.. or pastialage.. never had them to crack.. and had to redo them.. so maybe someone else has an answer for you..

caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 8

I've never had my fondant to crack but I thought I'd give you a bump. icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 9:39pm
post #4 of 8

You can try to make up some royal icing and color it as close as you can to the fondant that cracked, fill the crack and then remove the excess. It won't be perfect, but it might salvage your piece. Good luck.

Tilisha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tilisha Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:00pm
post #5 of 8

I had this happen on my little elephant last night....i just took water and wet it a little bit in the cracked area and kind of worked out the crack with the tip of my paint brush...trying not to ruin the shape while doing it. I will see what it looks like when i get home.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:05am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

You can try to make up some royal icing and color it as close as you can to the fondant that cracked, fill the crack and then remove the excess. It won't be perfect, but it might salvage your piece. Good luck.

this is a good idea, but to match the colors perfectly...if you happen to have any leftover fondant, just take a small piece and with a few drops of water, make a paste out of it. use a soft brush or your fingertip to fill in the cracks.

warning, however, that the fondant will be shiny where you apply this. Good luck!

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:26am
post #7 of 8

thank you everyone!! " adven68 "... I am going to try this and see if I can get it to work!

I know what happened and what I did wrong.... I colored my fondant in advance and put it in a zip loc baggie. I didn't squeeze out all the air, and I think it just dried out too much, before I used it!! Lesson Learned!!! (LOL)

Thanks

lyssa26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyssa26 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 9:01pm
post #8 of 8

Did the method of mixing a little fondant with water work to fix the crack? I have a 3 layer cake and the middle layer got a couple cracks in it after it was assembled and I really don't want to have to take it apart to recover the middle layer in fondant. (of corse it is a layer that is red in color too)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%