Preserving Gumpaste Creations?

Decorating By JBenigno Updated 1 Oct 2009 , 9:28pm by Loucinda

JBenigno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JBenigno Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 5

Hello! Does anyone know how to preserve gumpaste creations, aside from using a pouch of silica to keep moisture down. A client is requesting to keep her creation forever. Any suggestions? Is there something I can coat the items with?

4 replies
MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 5

Hmmm... I have kept all of my class work from about 10 years ago. It's not fancy, but I keep mine in plastic containers lined with that "egg crate" foam (sponge). I checked mine recently and the colors still look good (maybe a LITTLE faded) and they are not broken. HTH!

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 5

I have saved my rocking horse display I took to 2008 OSSAS under a dome glass display with a few silica pouches hidden behind. It still looks great!! I just saved some silica (small) pouches from vitiamin bottles. I just keep it out of direct sunlight and so far it has not faded. I have a magnolia flower that I want to save in a shadow box - but haven't found one deep enough to keep it in.

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 5

Yes, cakesbybert, good point I myself forgot to mention! I keep all of my work out of direct sunlight. (Thanks!)

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 5

Never mind - if you want to know where you can get the silica - just pm me and I will tell you - no matter how I post it - it removes it. icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%