How Early Do You Decorate For Christmas?

Lounge By Rylan Updated 6 Oct 2009 , 8:28pm by 7yyrt

Rylan Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 35

I usually decorate towards the end of October. I know many Filipinos who decorate on September.

How about you? When do you decorate?

Do you go all the way?

34 replies
indydebi Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 35

If it was up to me, we'd not even have a tree. I'm not a Scrooge .... I just hate getting all the stuff out, arguing with everyone on what goes where and how to put the stringy icicles on the tree, then arguing with hubby on why the empty boxes can NOT sit in the living for the next 2 weeks just because he's going to need them in 2 weeks to put everything away, and by the way he doesn't mean when HE puts everything away, he means when *I* tear down and put everything away.

I'm just as happy getting in my car on Christmas morning and driving to my grandchildren's home and enjoying THEIR tree!

AverageMom Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 35

November 20th. The day after my birthday! I don't put the tree up until the second week of December, but the rest of the house gets done as soon as Hubby will let me, which is November 20th. I start planning in July. Seriously. I love, love, LOVE Christmas!

TexasSugar Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 35

The weekend after Thanksgiving.

prterrell Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 35

I *try* to do the decorating the day before the 1st day of Advent and take the decorations down the day after Epiphany. Sometimes I'm so busy that the decorating is done over the first few days of Advent, though. If my parents are down for Thanksgiving, we'll sometimes put the tree up while they're visiting (it's an artificial tree and my mom likes to help).

Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 35

I usually put up the tree on Nov 30th or whatever last day of the month is a sunday as the kids like to help put ornament on etc..

Rylan Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:47pm
post #7 of 35

Compared to all of you, I seem to do it so early. Am I really the only early one in here? Trick or treaters always asks us why we decorate so early. I'll actually be decorating in about 3 weeks

Rylan Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:47pm
post #8 of 35

Compared to all of you, I seem to do it so early. Am I really the only early one in here? Trick or treaters always asks us why we decorate so early. I'll actually be decorating in about 3 weeks.

Peridot Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:49pm
post #9 of 35

I so agree with you Indydeb!!!

I am getting too old to drag all of that crap out and put it up for a month and then pack it all up and haul all of those boxes back to the basement. It always leads to arguments with the hubby - I end up doing all of the work and he has some excuse why he's not helping or he has to work. Then I am the one that has to take it all down and pack it up. If I left it up to him it would be thrown in boxes and would never be useable again. I have TONS of beautiful, expensive Christmas decorations that I no longer care if I put up or not. I am tired of it all. I used to spend days putting lights up outside - don't do that any longer either.

I remember after my sister and I were married and gone from home and after the grandkids got older my mother didn't want to bother with Christmas decorations and a tree and all of that. I could never understand why back then - WELL I DO NOW and I know exactly how she felt.

I think that Christmas is more fun when you have children at home and a reason to do all of this decorating and work and yes it is work. I spent days and days doing this stuff. Christmas is supposed to be at our house this year but I have been thinking for months that I am going to tell my son that we will driving down to their house. I would enjoy that a whole lot more!

In fact - I think that I don't really like Christmas and I never did. If you must ....then call me Scrooge.

Texas_Rose Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:52pm
post #10 of 35

I decorate the day after Thanksgiving. By Christmas, I'm really tired of looking at all of the stuff and more likely to throw it out than pack it away for another year.

mbelgard Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 7:03pm
post #11 of 35

I start decorating the day after Thanksgiving and I take it down sometime in January. It normally takes me several days because I have tons of decorations.

My cousin-in-law sets her tree up around Halloween and every year talks about how she can't wait to get it down Christmas night because she's sick of it. icon_lol.gif

TexasSugar Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 7:09pm
post #12 of 35

Rylan, you need to work at a craft store, Michaels has had Christmas in the store since August. icon_smile.gif

mgwebb68 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 7:32pm
post #13 of 35

We start putting our decorations up the day after Thanksgiving and are done by the end of the weekend. We usually take things down sometime after Christmas but by the end of the year.

My hubby likes for one holiday to come and go before starting on the next. We just started going "all out" when our daughter came along and decided that we wanted very much to form "Family Traditions" meaning, our little family, and our own traditions, not ones that came from my family or his. We still work in the good stuff from each side, but made it known to all the Grandparents that we wouldn't be dragging our little one around to their houses on Christmas, if they want to spend the day with her they will come to her. (Can anyone tell we were both hauled all over the place on Christmas and didn't think it was much fun?)

Here, Hobby Lobby has had their Christmas out since July, I just saw the first bit of Christmas stuff at Michaels today. I don't mind since one of my traditions is to by new Fire Department ornaments each year and to let my daughter pick out one or two new ones of her own. Just don't make me listen to Christmas music (which I love) until after Thanksgiving please.

ShelleyMJ Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 7:32pm
post #14 of 35

Christmas is my favorite time of year. It always has been. I start decorating the Friday after thanksgiving and usually have it completed within a week.

I also make all the florals and wreaths for my church each year.

adree313 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:45pm
post #15 of 35

christmas is my FAVORITE time of the year. honestly, if i had it my way, the decorations would be up all year round icon_biggrin.gif (but we usually put them up the weekend after thanksgiving)

i'm VERY excited for this year, in particular, because i've lived in CA at the beach my entire life and this will be the first year we actually get WINTER and SNOW!

christmas has always been a big deal at our house. especially with my nieces and nephews. my youngest nephew LOVES decorating the outside of the house. he's usually the general and we just put things where he wants them. my mom even goes as far as making a "certificate" for "greatest christmas decorations" and sends it to him like it's been sent from SANTA HIMSELF! oh, he just loves this! he has them saved from every year that my mom has done it for him.

yeah, i'd say it's a big deal for us icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Jen80 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 11:03pm
post #16 of 35

They'd be up now if I could get away with it.

We're getting lights this year. YAY!

Have y'all seen the Amazing Grace Techno house lights?

adree313 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 11:47pm
post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen80

They'd be up now if I could get away with it.

We're getting lights this year. YAY!

Have y'all seen the Amazing Grace Techno house lights?

veronica720 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:09am
post #18 of 35

We decorate the day after Thanksgiving. I am usually so tired after shopping all morning but I love Christmas and can't wait. Everything outside is always done before the weekend is over. I take everything down usually Jan. 1st.

Last year we put up everything the day after Christmas though, because my daughter was hanging an ornament back on the tree and the whole thing fell over on her. I was sitting on the couch when it happened and just busted out laughing, ornaments went everywhere and there was glass all over the place but it was so funny to see. She was ok, not even a scratch, just shocked. My daughter started crying though, she thought it was her fault and it took me a while to convince her otherwise. She is 9. We just sat on the couch looking at the mess for a bit. I have concrete floors so clean up was a breeze.

So this year I have to buy a new tree. One of the legs on the stand broke and I guess that little ornament she hung was just to much....lol. We were just teasing her the other day, saying "we better not let Kaidy hang the ornaments". She just cut her eyes at me...lol.

seasonsmoke Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 11:04pm
post #19 of 35

I decorate for Christmas right after Thanksgiving. I love Thanksgiving and the idas of giving Thanks. I will leave the Christmas tree up until afer New Years.

-Tubbs Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 2:52am
post #20 of 35

I can't believe you all put your decorations up so early!!!

If I had my way they'd go up 23rd December and come down 2nd Jan. Actually, we're usually pretty close to that - although maybe a week before Christmas, rather than two days. I ALWAYS have them down as soon as New Year's is done.

I love the way the house looks when they go up, but ADORE it when they come down!!

mkolmar Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 3:03am
post #21 of 35

My parents every year threaten to come over and decorate my house and put up a tree. One year I didn't get a tree fast enough for them so they bought one for our house. I opened up the door to find my dad and mom shoving in a pine tree 2 seconds later.

I love Christmas don't get me wrong, but I hate dragging all that Holiday stuff out. I have small kids so I do though.

Alright (please don't beat me down here) I put up my Christmas tree and decorations usually around December 24 and take them down a week later. This last year I had it up on December 22. I was so proud of myself.

I have a fake tree I put up. Can't stand stepping on a pine needle that the vacuum missed. My mom came over one day and said although it was a nice looking one it didn't have that fresh pine smell. I got out a spray bottle I had and put pine sol in it. Went to the tree and spritz it a few times. My dad was laughing his butt off, my mom was horrified. icon_lol.gif (Can you tell my favorite holiday is the 4th of July) icon_lol.gif

adree313 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 3:15am
post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

I got out a spray bottle I had and put pine sol in it. Went to the tree and spritz it a few times. My dad was laughing his butt off, my mom was horrified. icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif i could totally picture someone doing this! that's hilarious!

OfficerMorgan Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 4:34am
post #23 of 35

Day after Thanksgiving-anything earlier is obscene. icon_biggrin.gif Enjoy all the holidays! I hate hate hate hate how Hobby Lobby has Christmas decor for sale right after Easter. Ugh!

Melnick Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 9:04am
post #24 of 35

I'm with you Rylan! Every year I find myself getting earlier and earlier! Without a doubt Christmas is my absolute favourite time of year!

My parents decorated mid-Oct last year. I waited until the first day of November since my niece has a birthday at the end of Oct - I just wait for that to be over. I try to pull them down before the 29th Dec which is my other neice's birthday. I made a promise to her when she was in my sister's belly that if she would come out and meet me before the year ended, then I would always make her birthday special!

We only use fake trees over here. I love Christmas even more now that I have 2 young children. I just want to savour it for as long as I can - but once Christmas is done, I like the decorations to come straight down but I always hate putting them away because it makes me feel so sad and makes the house look so empty!

I can't wait for Christmas! Ironically, today we went down the road and the local store had some Christmas decorations for the first time this year, so in I went to check out what I'm going to buy and start thinking of all the things I'm going to do! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait!!!!!!!!

Rylan Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 10:41am
post #25 of 35

Melnick, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who in here who does is super early. We should be neighbors!

Melnick Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 11:36am
post #26 of 35

Absolutely! I desperately want my neighbours to decorate their houses with Christmas lights too! Over here is the most beautiful weather at Christmas time - warm balmy afternoons, sitting outside all night enjoying good company, walking the streets checking out all the lights .... ah, I love that we have Christmas in Summer!

Two years ago we had a really cold summer - it rained for almost 6 weeks non-stop (we don't rain much here) and we wore jumpers most day and it felt like we missed Christmas. It's just not Christmas if it's not a blistering hot day spent running eating on decks and running between airconditioning and swimming pools with an ice cold chardonnay in hand!

-Tubbs Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 1:52pm
post #27 of 35

When my husband and I were young we were backpacking and spent Christmas in Australia. I have pictures we took of ourselves on a totally deserted Queensland beach BBQing shrimp. Also got the car bogged down in sand and had to dig it out with a wok! Now THAT was a Christmas to remember!!

tigerhawk83 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 3:31pm
post #28 of 35

in my neighborhood we all have the same outdoor christmas lights (they look like pyramids but look like trees when lit up). We are SUPPOSED to turn them on the Sunday after Thanksgiving so most of us are putting them up in mid November - particularly if there is a reasonably nice day here in Iowa.

Inside - I don't decorate too much - just some lights but then I have no kids and live alone. My dad is the decorator at home - he gets out trees and villages and lights etc - they have over 20 Nativity sets of various sizes, makes and themes - some bought in other countries. This year Dad is taking all of them over to a senior group at church!!!

Tiffany29 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 4:33pm
post #29 of 35

We decorate the day after Thankgiving and I leave it all up until Jan. 2nd.
Now DH will get started on our christmas lights at the begining of Nov. He does lawn care in the summer and one company he worked for did christmas lights in the winter. He took a class on it and loves to do it. He lights this place up!!

Haloween is my fav. Last year I got antsy and put my stuff out early (like sept 10). I always put up the yellow caution tape on the porch railing. Well a few days after, we had a really bad wind storm (hurricane ike, left us without power for 10 days...that is a funny story in itself.). All the neighbors kept driving by real slow and staring because they thought something happened to our house during the storm! icon_lol.gif

So this year I held out til Sept 25th. and I have black, white and maroon caution tape.

summernoelle Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 5:04pm
post #30 of 35

I started leaving out ours until Jan 6th (which is my wedding anniversary!) because I heard that is the Christian end to the season, called The Epiphany. Kind of neat-an excuse to leave them up longer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%