Help With My Bubblecream, I Mean Buttercream!!

Decorating By ally38562 Updated 2 Oct 2009 , 12:49pm by indydebi

ally38562 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ally38562 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 11

Colored my buttercream yesterday in my KA. The bowl was FULL, it actually ended up on the spring above the paddle! I did it on the lowest setting and it was beautiful when done. Today, not so much. It's FULL of air bubbles/pock marks. I have to use this icing, cant make more. How do I get the bubbles out? I need it smooth again!

10 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 11

I just made an anniversary cake not 20 minutes ago. I pulled the icing that I made a few days ago, took a big spoon and beat it a few seconds, and it was the prettiest, silkiest smooth ever. Absolutely gorgeous. So try beating it a little with a big spoon and see what happens.

I never gauge my icing on what it looks like in the bowl. By the time I apply it and do whatever smoothing that needs done, it looks fine.

ally38562 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ally38562 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 11

I've got your recipe taped to a box of dreamwhip sitting on my kitchen counter! icon_biggrin.gif I stirred it a little with a big spatula for about 15seconds and got disgusted. I'll go at it again later. You think burying my old hand mixer in it would get the air out?

indydebi Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 11

As mentioned, I dont' worry about what it looks like in the bowl because once I smooth it on, the do touch ups with Melvira's roller, it looks good. Did you make it today? If you can, let it sit for a few hours or overnight, then give it a stir, if you want to get the pockets out now. I have beat the heck out of small batches with a big spoon, so if you want to dip the hand mixer in it for a few seconds, give it a shot! thumbs_up.gif

sweetcakesbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbyjen Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:16am
post #5 of 11

I had this problem, so I did a search for air bubbles in icing and the cause online, and found the problem to be overmixing and mixing at too high a speed. I used to mix and mix my BC, but not so much anymore. Hope this helps you!!

indydebi Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:22am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12sparkle345

I had this problem, so I did a search for air bubbles in icing and the cause online, and found the problem to be overmixing and mixing at too high a speed. I used to mix and mix my BC, but not so much anymore. Hope this helps you!!

Interesting. I turn on my mixer then go outside for a smoke break. If I'm in a hurry, I'll turn the mixer on high speed (what I refer to as "beat it to hell" speed). When I make icing, my personal belief is "no such thing as overmixing". icon_confused.gif

sweetcakesbyjen Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 10:40am
post #7 of 11

Well, I found that info when I watched some of the videos on youtube about how others prepare their icing. The People say you can mix it at high speeds for a few seconds but not the whole time. This is just what I have heard. So maybe you just gotta find what works for you. I know that for me, mixing at high speeds DOES NOT work, but if it works for you- GREAT!! icon_biggrin.gif

Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 10:47am
post #8 of 11

I had this same problem!! UGH! My buttercream was FULL of air bubbles and I mixed it on a low speed, and for not too long. icon_sad.gif I have no idea.....

dnrlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnrlee Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 11:03am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12sparkle345

Interesting. I turn on my mixer then go outside for a smoke break. If I'm in a hurry, I'll turn the mixer on high speed (what I refer to as "beat it to hell" speed). When I make icing, my personal belief is "no such thing as overmixing". icon_confused.gif

LOL! That's my favorite speed icon_twisted.gif

sweetcakesbyjen Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 11:15am
post #10 of 11

Hmmm.. maybe I should give that a try then. icon_razz.gif I used to use a hand mixer and I just bought my first KA. so, maybe it is different?? Thanks for your opinions.

indydebi Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 12:49pm
post #11 of 11

oh a KA will make a BIG difference! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%