Buttercream Transfer On Fondant?? Please Help. . .

Decorating By forheavenscake Updated 1 Oct 2009 , 9:19pm by forheavenscake

forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a cake for my work. It is a customer appreciation cake but I am going to put our logo in the middle of it "Allstate". I have never done a transfer of ANY kind but I can't think of a better way to get this done. I can spell out Allstate just fine, but it's those darn "good hands". LOL

#1: What is the best way to do a transfer?
#2: Can it be put on top of a fondant cake?
#3: If the answer to #2 is NO. . .what other ways would you suggest getting the hands on there?

Thanks!

2 replies
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 3

What I learned in my Wilton class was to take a reverse of the picture you want (sometimes you don't need to do this if it's uniform on both sides), tape it down to a table or cake board, tape a piece of wax paper over it. Make sure you can see the design thru the wax paper.

Then follow the lines of the design using pipin gel and a small tip (#1 or #2, I think). When done, remove the taped down wax paper (keeping it flat) and place it onto the cake where you want it. Using a brush, gently brush over the lines so that they transfer to the cake. Gently pull of the wax paper, and Voila! You have an outline to fill in. Just make sure you cover the gel as well, because you aren't going to remove it, it's now part of the picture.

OR You can make a photocopy of whatever you need, place it against the cake (best with fondant covered cake) and use an Exacto Knife (box cutter in the US, I think) or toothpick and gently trace it onto the fondant.

Good luck! Post a pic when you're done.

forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you! So you think the pin prick would be better on the fondant? I think I agree. We'll see.

The cake is for the 17th .. so I've got a little while to figure it out. I will definitely post a pic when done though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%