Orders From Children?

Business By kellertur Updated 4 Oct 2009 , 1:26am by minicuppie

kellertur Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 11

Does anyone take over the phone orders (for deliver) from children? It feels awkward, since there are no adults I can speak with. She called and wants a basic van cake delivered TOMORROW. I'd hate to break the little girl's heart, she wants her mom to have a cake, but I'm not comfortable because I have a home baker's license, not a shop. I'd feel better if I could speak to a guardian, but there isn't one.

What do you think? I said I'd call her back today and let her know. How can I let her down easy, besides just referring her to other local bakeries which I've done?

Thank you.

10 replies
blessedist Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 11

how will she pay for it??

indydebi Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 11

I've never had such a call, but I would not accept it. Children cannot enter into contractual agreements.

Callyssa Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 11

There's no way I'd take an order from a child! I can sympathize with her wanting a cake for her mother, but, how can you be guaranteed you will be paid?! And, it's not really fair to put the mother in a position to pay for something she didn't order, although she's still responsible for the actions of her child. Again, there's no way I would do that!

kellertur Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 11

Payment is the least of my concerns (even if she does have it on hand). My concern begins and ends with the laws regarding interacting with children without the concent of the parents. (???) I have no idea how old this girl is... and I'd be driving over to her home (what if her parents aren't home). I wouldn't want a stranger just "showing up" to my doorstep.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'm going to politely say I cannot do it.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 4:09pm
post #6 of 11

And it could be a hoax ... or the parent trying to play on your sympathies to get a cake done quickly (or for free).

I've got a big heart, and if I knew the girl and parent(s), I would probably do it for free (if she was a classmate of one of my children, for example), but IndyDebi's right. Children cannot legally enter into a contract (and that's what you're agreeing to do is, a verbal contract), so if you did do this, and delivered it, the mom would not have to pay you for it.

Let her down gently. Something like, "I'd love to help you, but since you're not an adult, I can't take an order from you. I could get into trouble with the police. If you have the money, you could go to [name of store or bakery]. I'm sure they'd be happy to help you out."

nonnyscakes Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellertur

Does anyone take over the phone orders (for deliver) from children? It feels awkward, since there are no adults I can speak with. She called and wants a basic van cake delivered TOMORROW. I'd hate to break the little girl's heart, she wants her mom to have a cake, but I'm not comfortable because I have a home baker's license, not a shop. I'd feel better if I could speak to a guardian, but there isn't one.

What do you think? I said I'd call her back today and let her know. How can I let her down easy, besides just referring her to other local bakeries which I've done?

Thank you.

Well since I don't sell my cakes my opinion isn't worth much here, but I will give it anyway. icon_smile.gif Like you, I would feel bad about not helping her out on her mother's birthday, but I would feel worse if I got in trouble. I would be worried about the fact that it is a child, the legalities and the payment as the others have stated. I would be thankful that she gave you an easy out and take it. She said she needed it by tomorrow. Tell her that you can't fit it into your schedule and give her the names and numbers of the other shops.

sadsmile Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 4:15pm
post #8 of 11

Awe she wants a cake for her mom. I would call and ask if there is an Aunt or uncle that can help her with this that you verify things with.

blessedist Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 4:21pm
post #9 of 11

Yeah, I'd feel bad that the little girl wanted to do a good deed for mommy but I definitely wouldn't risk ANYTHING for her to have it, but maybe suggest she have an aunt, grandma, etc contact you for her so she can still get her cake?

nonnyscakes Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 4:26pm
post #10 of 11

sadsmile and blessedist,
I know it isn't my dilema, but you opened my eyes. I wasn't thinking outside the box .... great ideas. This is why I love CC.

minicuppie Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 1:26am
post #11 of 11

This is probably too late...maybe she can find a relative or neighbor that will buy a cake mix and some frosting and help her make it herself. Just a thought.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%