Cupcake Cakes: Messy?

Baking By midwestmommy Updated 1 Oct 2009 , 9:41pm by poohsmomma

midwestmommy Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 4

I havent made one yet, but was thinking of makeing a cupcake cake for a group of young kids.

I thought it would be easier and less mess, but now, after thinking about pulling it is that done? doesnt the frosting peel off one another? does it need to be cut apart anyway? is it less mess or more? wont some people get more frosting than others?

any advice..TIA

3 replies
indydebi Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 4

I've never made one, but makes fun of them all the time. icon_eek.gif

ClancyJane Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 4

A bit off topic but I love the Cake Wrecks site!

I've personally never had nor made a CCC, but I would imagine you would have some icing issues when separating the cupcakes...such as globs of it being left behind, some of it pulling off the cupcake...etc. I think that would lead to more mess...I can just see someone trying to put the icing back on...

Why not just do inidividual cupcakes, instead of trying to lump them all together? That way you would minimize the mess and everybody would get the same amount of icing.

poohsmomma Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 4

I made a cupcake cake for my niece. It was my first, and it was really easy. If you kind of lift the cupcakes straight up off of the cake board, the icing comes right off with the cupcake. It was easy to serve at the party.

One thing I did though was NOT stick the cupcakes to the board with icing. I thought that would be a big mess. I used little "glue dots" that I had on hand. They worked great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%