All I Need To Begin?

Decorating By hazeleyes70 Updated 2 Oct 2009 , 10:41pm by tonimarie

hazeleyes70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hazeleyes70 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 10

Hi Everyone,

This site was referred to me by a FB buddy and I am loving it. Lot's of wonderful ideas and lots of fantastic art work! I have been wanting to do this for a very long time, but because I worked outside the home I did not have much time. I now stay home with my children and now have some free time. The question I have is...What do I need to begin if one like me is a beginner? I know basic stuff, but there must be lots of other things that make decorating much more easy. All ideas are welcomed.

Thanks

9 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 10

Welcome to CC, the best source for all things cake! I'd suggest taking a few hours (put the kiddies to bed, grab your coffee or iced tea, close the door to your computer room ... kick back) and browse the forums. Read it all (ok, that might take days, but it's a start!).

Do you have a MIchael's nearby where you can sign up for some classes? you'll get a good overview of a number of techniques. Reading the threads on CC, browising the articles/tutorials, watching the many you-tube videos put together by CC members ..... all are great instruction and learning tools.

As you begin doing more and more cakes and have a question on a technique or a "How do I.....?", pop in here and you'll get tons of advice. Some of it will be conflicting, but that's a good thing ... you get to benefit from the many different ways that folks do things and you can pick the one that works best for you.

hazeleyes70 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks indydebi......I have been on this site for hours at night reading, looking and commenting on many ideas/pictures. Yes there is a Micheal's not far from be and also a mega craft warehouse that has lots of classes available and many many items. I have been watching vids on YouTube and have seen some amazing stuff. I am going to attempt a Halloween cake,nothing fancy fancy, but something that I think I can do. I will post a pic once I accomplish this goal. Once again, thanks so much for your response! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:25pm
post #4 of 10

I had been making cakes for over 25 years when I found CC. I've learned more in my 2-3 years on CC than I did in those entire 25 years! You're gonna love it here!

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:35pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Quote:

Welcome to CC, the best source for all things cake! I'd suggest taking a few hours (put the kiddies to bed, grab your coffee or iced tea, close the door to your computer room ... kick back) and browse the forums. Read it all (ok, that might take days, but it's a start!).

Do you have a MIchael's nearby where you can sign up for some classes? you'll get a good overview of a number of techniques. Reading the threads on CC, browising the articles/tutorials, watching the many you-tube videos put together by CC members ..... all are great instruction and learning tools.

As you begin doing more and more cakes and have a question on a technique or a "How do I.....?", pop in here and you'll get tons of advice. Some of it will be conflicting, but that's a good thing ... you get to benefit from the many different ways that folks do things and you can pick the one that works best for you.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Great advice! This is pretty much what I do all day when I should be working! lol!

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 10

Welcome to CC, hazeleyes! I agree, Indydebi gave you some great ideas. I'm also really new to cake decorating and I love learning new techniques from this site. Here's a thread that I've found really helpful. Everyone just adds their favorite baking/decorating tips they've learned over the years. It's great!

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-651876.html

hazeleyes70 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you thank you thank you everyone!!! I am so addicted it's crazy. I went to Calgary this morning to PM Hobbycraft and found TONNES of stuff to begin....wow, very over whelming, but exciting at the same time. I picked up a student kit with basic needs and a few other things. Can't wait to begin!!

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 8:29pm
post #8 of 10

welcome! I agree with everything indydebi told you (she is very wise) I'm actually embarrassed to look at the cakes I did before finding CC, there is just so much info that you can learn from here icon_smile.gif My only advice to you is not to get caught up buying wilton shaped cake pans, I don't even know when the last time was that I used one, and I have probably 50 of them taking up space in my house icon_redface.gif covering cakes with thousands of little stars gets old really fast! icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 8:37pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonimarie

My only advice to you is not to get caught up buying wilton shaped cake pans, I don't even know when the last time was that I used one, and I have probably 50 of them taking up space in my house icon_redface.gif covering cakes with thousands of little stars gets old really fast! icon_biggrin.gif

Ebay!!!

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 10:41pm
post #10 of 10

Texas_Rose: I know I should put them on ebay, I just keep hoping they'll disappear! hehehehe icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%