Cylon Helmet

Decorating By tguegirl Updated 1 Oct 2009 , 6:29pm by tguegirl

tguegirl Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 5

Hey all,
I would really appreciate any help with this! I have to make a cylon helmet cake. I was thinking of just making a dome with 3 stacked 8 inch cakes topped by a round dome baked in a bowl. However, my question is--how do I do the raised design on the helmet? I was just going to build it up with fondant, but I'm afraid it'll be so heavy that it'll drag down the fondant. should I build it up with fondant directly on the cake, before I buttercream and fondant it? Would that help? Any advice would be appreciated!
LL
LL

4 replies
cakesalot13 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 5

I would make the top fin part RKT- with dowels or cake board to support it, if you want to make it all edible, maybe gumpaste as the base of the fin, but still support with dowels- so it doesn't sink into the rest of your cake.

tguegirl Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 5

Great! What about the front raised part- would fondant applied to the cake drag down the overall covering of fondant?

cakesalot13 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 5

I would probably build that out of your cake, then carve our the recessed areas- But depending on your density of cake, otherwise carve pieces out of pound cake, maybe adhere with royal- or buttercream to the mail helmet part. But I think carving it would look more cohesive.

tguegirl Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 5

I baked the Amazing Chocolate White Almond Sour Cream from this site. I'm not sure how sturdy it is. Would it hold up to carving? I'm normally fine with carving, but seeing as this is going to be on the side of the helmet, not the top, I'm a little wary of carved surfaces sticking out.

What about if I built up the raised areas with rice krispies and adhered it with buttercream, then buttercreamed and fondanted? Do you think it would stay or fall?

Sorry for all the questions! Am going to start putting it together tonight!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%