Anyway To Minimize Brush Strokes On Fondant With Paint?

Decorating By meri1028 Updated 1 Oct 2009 , 7:45pm by dandelion56602

meri1028 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 7

I'm planning on painting a pastel pink fondant cake with pearl luster paint. I have purchased the Americolor Amerimist Pearl Sheen paint. I don't have an airbrush (though seriously considering one from Michaels) and I am planning to paint it on. I did a test piece of fondant and I'm not crazy about the brush strokes. I was wondering if anyone had any tips when painting a large area? Would a larger brush help? I'm thinking once I get my decorations on it, it won't be as noticeable.

Here's the pearl paint I'm trying to use:
http://www.americolor.org/product_p/672-fslash-.htm

It says it can be painted on.

Thanks in advanced everyone!

6 replies
dandelion56602 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 7

Let the fondant air dry for a couple of hours. Use a bigger brush & only go in 1 direction. I painted both the grill cake and the shoe box lid in my photos with minimal stroke marks. I would also suggest get a good amount of "paint on your brush---you don't want it dripping, but not dry either

meri1028 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the response, dandelion56602! Wow you painted the black on the grill & shoe box lid?? Was it white fondant to begin with? It looks great! Thanks for the tips! I will try all of them! Hopefully it won't be too noticeable. It's for our state fair competition (non-professional). But I just don't have a lot of money for an airbrush right now. I really do appreicate it!!! thumbs_up.gif

Rylan Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 7

I also suggest you use a really nice soft brush to begin with.

Texas_Rose Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 7

I've painted with the Americolor pearl sheen before. The trick to not getting any streaks is not to go over anything again while it's still wet. Also, make all of the brush strokes in the same direction. If you need to put another coat on, wait until it's dry to paint over it.

Here's something I painted with it:

meri1028 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks so much Texas_Rose & Rylan!

Texas_Rose, I'm glad I found someone who had done this before! Your cake looks great! Now I'm not so nervous about trying it! icon_biggrin.gif

dandelion56602 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 7:45pm
post #7 of 7

Meri, I started w/ brown fondant so it wouldn't show through as much. I've also painted w/ Luck's Gold & Silver w/ success. Just paint in the same direction (just think about coloring pages & how they look better in one direction than in a million directions) and like Texas Rose said wait for the coats to dry. You can go to the paint brush section in Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Joann's, or another craft store & take your pick of brushes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%